Forum: Q & A

Thread: To stamp or not to stamp?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
charlestupman

To stamp or not to stamp?
Posted: 8 Oct 2012 at 16:27 GMT
Should I stamp my professional panoramas? When I first started to sell panoramas I prided myself on never having stamps but rather filling in the hole, however the more I am commissioned to photograph in abnormal or uneven spaces the more work I am having to do to make the floors fit. for one panorama I was asked to canoe into the middle of the ocean to take a panorama on a rock, the floor was impossible to film and I had to fill it in using photoshop. Do customers appreciate the full 360 by 180 degrees or should I shelve the extra production time and just start stamping my pano's? You can find examples of my work at www.liontreevirtualtours.com
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Re: To stamp or not to stamp?
Posted: 8 Oct 2012 at 19:17 GMT
There are different versions to be seen: some limit movements up and down so you can stop the pano before reaching the nadir. Some use a logo to cover. Little planet for example or mirror ball.

You often find the argument that people are not interested to see nadir and zenith parts and it would not give so much extra information.

Anyway, in case you have to earn your living, extra work should result in extra money. I should calculate a basic price for my pano for a basic time I need to do the job which brings the profit I'd like to get for an hours work. In case I do not use stamps, this would be higher of course.

Or you show a basic set up to your customers with stamp and charge extra money calculated on your extra time related to the special job.

If you do not do this, your profit will go down and down. This will end up in low budget panos. With a lot of work for you for nothing.

Nice panos. Personally I do not like panos that start autorotation without being fully loaded. I normally stop it and wait till it is fully loaded. And then I restart autorotation. Your round arrow will stop autorotation, but I did not find a way to restart it. May be you have a way to change this. For me as a normal customer I would not spend my time to have a look to a pano that is not sharp from the beginning and autorotate. Just a hint from what I would feel though the panos are great.

Regards,
Heinz
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 at 5:41 GMT
I have never heard of this being called a stamp.

The believe question being asked is the "Cap or not to Cap". Meaning to place a cap over the tripod region and to not bother with a nadir shot.

Personally if you are displaying a 360x180 panorama I think you should always remove the tripod from the scene. It's about immersing yourself into the scene as if actually being there. Sometimes this area is interesting and other times not, just like real life! There is of course, the argument for time required vs time being paid for. If you offer low end speed work this is inevitably what you will end up being known for.

If you are spending way too much time on the nadir the question needs to be asked what software and methods are you using? Because really stitching in the nadir shot doesn't take all that long. But if the panohead/hardware, shooting practice or software is not suitable it can take a long time to correct this area.

Also consider this as a selling advantage over others who don't bother to go the distance when selling your services. Make the client understand why you are a little more expensive and how quality from you reflects on their business also.

As for the "cap" there is also an argument for this area to be used for advertising. Either your business or theirs. The trick will be to make this look professional and never allow it to cover anything but the flat floor. When I see caps cover half the coffee table etc I ask the question why did they bother?

One a side note: I see you are using Tourweaver. Your panoramas are very, very slow loading. Either the size is just too large or your server is too slow. I also noted you are not making use of the option to offer a lower/faster loading resolution when in non fullscreen viewing mode.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 at 11:32 GMT

Smooth said:

Your panoramas are very, very slow loading. Either the size is just too large or your server is too slow.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au

Slow server for sure:
2.56 mb in 80 seconds, which is 256 kbps.

Probably the slowest server I have ever come across.

Trausti
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 at 12:00 GMT
Not server , your connection (cable over the atlantic or what ever.)

Normal loading for me. 3-6 sec for each 2mb pano.

South Europe may sometimes be slightly slower than my 30 megabit connection.
Athens has 20 Mbps = 2MB/s

LIMA 0.48 MB/s

Hans
alert moderator
charlestupman

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 9:45 GMT
Thanks for the advice, I was leaning that way anyway, looking at other sites I would definitely rather be making beautiful panos than churning out budget ones. I will check out the autorotating and see what works best, I have been thinking about removing the loading screen inbetween scenes so it loads as it turns. What do you think?
alert moderator
charlestupman

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 9:56 GMT
Must be a cultural thing, we seem to be stamp (cap?) happy over here smile

I use PTgui with raw fisheye images from a canon 5d mk ii, usually stitching the nadir is fine, however sometimes ptgui just seems to hate the nadir shot and wont's fit it in without 100 control points which can take hours to match up properly. Saying that it seems to be becoming a quicker process and to be honest I don't want to fall in the habit of stamping every scene, also generally what doesn't work in ptgui can be cleaned up in photoshop.

As for the slowness, I recently changed servers to get the fastest possible connection and limited my scenes to 2 mb each at 3200x1600 resolution which I have found to be the best trade off between quality and loading speed. They might be loading slow because of the distance, my severs are based in the UK to reduce ping time and for the seo benefits (we are based in the UK), they load in under 7 seconds when tested from the UK and Europe.

I was not aware that tourweaver had an option for faster loading, could you please send me details on how to implement this?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!! LTVT
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 16:10 GMT
updated: 11 Oct 2012 at 16:12 GMT
To be able to check your problems, you can upload the whole set of pics via ge.tt/
This is a basic question concerning the nadir shot. May be something goes wrong in your workflow. I never ever had to set 100 control point to fix my nadir.

Take your shots around. Move back to 0 position on your panohead. Then you take your Zenith and Nadir1 shot. Do not move the tripod. Just go down to -90° pitch.

Anyway, it will help all of us to try to help you when you upload pics of these worst cases.

Heinz
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 16:32 GMT
A nadir shot using PTGui's View Point Correction requires minimal control points 3 to 5 max. The more you add the less chance of success. These control points must be on flat area. All other areas must be masked out.

To learn more about Tourweaver please visit the Easypano forum. www.easypano.com/forum/default.asp I will happily answer questions you may have.

I don't believe it's cultural. I've been doing this for many, many years. Still, it matters not, if we are talking about the same thing.

Heinz is right. Upload a set of images, provide a download and we can guide you through your troubled project.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator