Forum: Q & A

Thread: R1 w/ Samyang 7.5 - Settings Help

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
bsdubois00

R1 w/ Samyang 7.5 - Settings Help
Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 22:49 GMT
I need some help getting my R1 set up with my Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye.

Anyone have one that can help me out? I'm having issues with Zenith and Nadir lining up
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: R1 w/ Samyang 7.5 - Settings Help
Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 4:04 GMT
OK I'll bite, what is the lens attached to? What camera? Is the lens modified? What mount is the lens?

Hard to answer your question without further information.

That said, the NN R1 is not really designed to taking Nadir and Zenith shots on axis, it's real purpose is for circular fisheye shots where there is no need to shoot a Zenith shot and the Nadir shot is done for use with PTGui's Veiw Point Correction method.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
bsdubois00

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 14:20 GMT
E-PM1 - no modifications to the lens - its the Micro 4/3 mount.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 14:23 GMT
updated: 27 Aug 2012 at 14:29 GMT

bsdubois00 said:

E-PM1 - no modifications to the lens - its the Micro 4/3 mount.
The Nodal Ninja R1 is the wrong panohead for that combination. You need to look at the NN3 RS-1 panohead.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 14:39 GMT
As you can see the NN RS-1 is a scaled down version of the NN3 MKII. The lower arm is shorter. The upper arm is replaced by a Arca-Swiss style clamp (as the pivot) and the lens right attaches to it. The rotator is optional from the selection that Nodal Ninja offer. The one shown is the new tiny RM-4 store.nodalninja.com/index.php/rotator-mini-rm4.h...

It is truly the perfect set up for your combination. Allowing the NPP to be maintained for Zenith and Nadir shots. Also great for multirow shots when using a pancake or kit zoom lens.

I'm not 100% sure if the RS-1 panohead has actually been released as yet? Or whether you option up a NN3? Contact your Nodal Ninja supplier or maybe Nick (from Fanotec) can chime in here.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
bsdubois00

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 21:58 GMT
Interesting - when I called and asked they told me the R1 would be the better head for the combo
alert moderator
bsdubois00

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 2:31 GMT
updated: 28 Aug 2012 at 2:32 GMT
Smooth,

This is one that I did in practice. Ignore the color and scene (dirty house and what not - I was in between cooking dinner and cleaning house for some guests) it was just testing some things out.

E-PM1 @ -15 - I took 1 up shot and then took one down shot. As you can see in the image attached there is only a slight area that the tripod covers and I used the patch feature to export the down then match up the down shot I took with the patch and used some masking to get it right. Came out almost perfect. I'm anxious to try it outside with concrete or maybe on tile to see if it is a usuable solution.

www.brandonsdubois.com/test

www.brandonsdubois.com/test/1.png
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:14 GMT

bsdubois00 said:

Interesting - when I called and asked they told me the R1 would be the better head for the combo
Hmm, not sure they gave you the best information!

bsdubois00 said:

Smooth,

This is one that I did in practice. Ignore the color and scene (dirty house and what not - I was in between cooking dinner and cleaning house for some guests) it was just testing some things out.
Don't apoligise for a lived in house. Lived in houses rarely present as a show home.

bsdubois00 said:

E-PM1 @ -15 - I took 1 up shot and then took one down shot. As you can see in the image attached there is only a slight area that the tripod covers and I used the patch feature to export the down then match up the down shot I took with the patch and used some masking to get it right. Came out almost perfect. I'm anxious to try it outside with concrete or maybe on tile to see if it is a usuable solution.

www.brandonsdubois.com/test

www.brandonsdubois.com/test/1.png
Yes, you can get a result. But I doubt this is the right solution. Though you may choose to live with it. Your saying 6x rotational shots at -15° and 1x Zenith and 1x Nadir shot? Only the Nadir and Zenith shots won't hold the NPP and will require the use of PTGui's View Point Correction (VPC) option.

Lets say you had to shoot two rows one at -15° and one at +15° and then Zenith and Nadir shots. Each row and then the Zenith/Nadir shots require a different position on the slide rail because the NPP changes with the angle. If you were to use the NN RS-1 panohead the NPP stays the same no matter what angle you position it through the arc.

Same would be true if you wanted 3 rows or 4 rows of shots etc.

Anyway, the choice is yours. I think I have explained it well enough?

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
bsdubois00

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 14:30 GMT
Email sent to NN lets see their response - I just got the lens last week hopefully they will make it right
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:59 GMT
NN RS1 is not ready. It should be ready in Sept. I am very busy with many new stuff.

for your info, NN RS without lower rotator will be sold for $120 only. So you an have an easy solution in case your find R1/10 not usable for your lens.

R1/10 is quite popular for full frame fisheye users. I guess >1/3 sales are for FF fisheyes. With some skills, they can still take perfect sperical panos, esp. outdoors.

Nick
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 14:59 GMT
updated: 31 Aug 2012 at 15:13 GMT
As Smooth mentioned: taking the Zenith shot on R1 will move the NPP downwards and towards you from old position. This is no problem outside. But because objects are closer to your lens inside, you should try to bring back the lens to old NPP position.

Measure the height from the turning point of R1 to your lens axis. The "bolt" above the 0 mark. Just tested D3 10.5 and it was 7 cm. But this differs by lensring and camera combo.

Anyway: raise your center column by let's say 7cm to get old height, and move you tripod straight forward by the same amount to reach the old NPP position in vertical. This will bring you "close" to old NPP.

I just have tested stitching results with and without NPP correction. It is better to take the time to correct NPP as I described. At first take your set of shots around without Zenith and make a template for PTGui with max Dist of 1,x-2,0. This will help for further stitching. Setting up new project, use "apply template" and then align. The add Zenith and Nadir step by step till you are experienced with your set up.

Nadir can be shot in R1 Nadir position pitching downwards and the tripod moved straight backwards till you can see the mark you have placed on the ground to mark your old position in the middle of the viewfinder. Then you have to use the full viewpoint correction system as described in PTGui.

Second choice is to take the Nadir handheld straight down without R1.

In case you use PTGui Pro, you can try to adapt "Blend Priority" in "Image Parameters" Tab in advanced mode from 100% down to 40% or even less. This will reduce the used info from outside to the center of the shot.

Heinz
alert moderator
Tim Eastman

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 16:57 GMT
Nick:
Any word on new product shown above?
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 at 15:47 GMT