Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 55
first prev Prev 1 2 3 4 next next last
Author  Message 
DemonDuck

More on the Yasuhara Madoka 180
Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 16:48 GMT
updated: 11 Jul 2012 at 16:49 GMT
www.yasuhara.eu/articles-and-announcements/announ...

Mr. Yasuhara

MADOKA is a fisheye lens with Orthographic projection system.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

It is very rare system. In Orthographic projection fisheye, the center image is enlarged compared to ordinary fisheye lens and the edge is much more compressed.

So, if you use it for VR panorama, it is better not to use the edges. If you rotate the camera on horizontal plane, you have to take at least 3 (every 120 degree) +1(top) pictures.

If you want to omit the top picture, you have to tilt-up the lens at least 10 degree. But, if the top is important in the panorama picture, we recommend you to take 1 more top picture.
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Re: More on the Yasuhara Madoka 180
Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 17:54 GMT
it is a pity they didn't allow for adaptation to M43. I have one, there is no simple way to cut out 2mm flange distance for M43. But it can be adapted to Nikon 1.

Nick
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:41 GMT
Put the lens in a lathe just like the guy who tried to shave a Nikon 10.5 lens hood did.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:38 GMT

Nick Fan said:

it is a pity they didn't allow for adaptation to M43. I have one, there is no simple way to cut out 2mm flange distance for M43. But it can be adapted to Nikon 1.

Nick

Since you brought up the subject of adapters, why don't you make a good M4/3 to NEX adapter? The only one on the market seems not to focus at infinity -- according to some. You could make a perfect one. Then the 7.5mm Samyang would be nice lens to have for my NEX.
alert moderator
janmartin

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 7:19 GMT
Anyone knows if the source images are available?
Am I really the only one looking for them to play?
alert moderator
enbilaman

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 8:34 GMT

janmartin said:

No Jan, you are not alone!

The OP says that MADOKA 180 is a fisheye lens of the orthographic projection type. Hmmm....

I have been seriously studying how different stitching software can cope with various fisheye projections (i.e. stereographic, equidistant, equi-solid angle and orthographic). My experiments are based on results got from stitching sample sets of images into 360 x 180° panoramas.

In contrast with the other, when the orthographic projection is concerned, I have yet tested it only by inputing "synthetic" source images: Orthographic is the only "projection type" for which I could not yet find a real life set of photographies that are close enough to the theoretical fisheye projection model.

I thus certainly would welcome such a sample!

Michel
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 14:20 GMT

enbilaman said:

janmartin said:

No Jan, you are not alone!

The OP says that MADOKA 180 is a fisheye lens of the orthographic projection type. Hmmm....

I have been seriously studying how different stitching software can cope with various fisheye projections (i.e. stereographic, equidistant, equi-solid angle and orthographic). My experiments are based on results got from stitching sample sets of images into 360 x 180° panoramas.

In contrast with the other, when the orthographic projection is concerned, I have yet tested it only by inputing "synthetic" source images: Orthographic is the only "projection type" for which I could not yet find a real life set of photographies that are close enough to the theoretical fisheye projection model.

I thus certainly would welcome such a sample!

Michel

Last week I wrote and asked Yasuhara for raw images. Suggested that they put samples up on their web site. They were very evasive. It only takes a few minutes to post raw images.

----------

Makrofoto.sk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are working on MADOKA sample panorama pictures. Please se the panorama link bellow. We will present the first samples begening next week (on Monday) so please do not publish this link. More samples will be available on Yasuhara.eu within 10 days - until MADOKA 180 will appear in Europe.
>
> album.reality.hu/panos/madoka/7/
>
> Regards, Gabriel.
>
> Gabriel Kereke¹
> manager of the company
> MakroFoto s.r.o.
>
> www.yasuhara.eu
>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've seen example images from your Madoka 180 fisheye. Generally they are of poor quality jpg. It's impossible to tell the real sharpness of the Madoka 180 from those available samples.
>>
>> If you have samples, then you must have NEX raw images (.ARW) files. Can you please send me a full set of .arw files from which I can make a full 360 spherical panorama? Why does Yasuhara refuse to present real sample images for potential customers like me to examine? I've asked for a set of raw images before and got nothing but evasion. Is the lens really that bad? If you send me a stitchable set of images, I will stitch them together into a 360 spherical image and present it to you for your own use.
>>
>> Regards,
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 23:49 GMT
I've been meaning to upload some raw images but I couldn't find an interesting location that would show off the lens. this is Christchurch, its a bit of a dump with all the destroyed buildings, and now that its winter the botanical garden is completely leafless and lifeless.

I've also been very busy trying to prepare my move to Germany but so many things to do and nothing is working out! the silly booking agent gave me a 52 hour flight. she claimed there was no other option, but immediately after I found an option for a 40 hour flight but not sure if I want to keep paying these change fees. I think these people purposefully do this to annoy you.

and quite a lot of airlines want to charge me $1200 to take my bicycle. after 40 hours of searching I found a way to get there with Air New Zealand which will take it for $45. there is something incredibly wrong with the discrepancy.

I'm also having problems finding a way to stay more than 90 days in Schengen. After 4.5 years of constantly moving I'd like to stay somewhere for a while where I know some people instead of having to reintroduce myself again. This is when I curse my government for its horrible immigration and foreign policies while I watch Europeans travel the rest of the world with their many options for working holiday visas.

Anyway, I will upload some raw photos soon. maybe next week.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 1:38 GMT
Your travel difficulties sound horrible. Good luck.

Upload when and if you can.
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 12:41 GMT
Yasuhara will be at Photokina. He will have the Madoka 180 lens at his booth. The plan was also that I finish the design for the panohead soon and he would also have it displayed at his booth. Possibly you could attach it to your own camera and pod to make some test shots.

So, if you're curious to see the lens firsthand, I recommend going to the show to take a look.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 15:11 GMT

thomash2 said:

Yasuhara will be at Photokina. He will have the Madoka 180 lens at his booth. The plan was also that I finish the design for the panohead soon and he would also have it displayed at his booth. Possibly you could attach it to your own camera and pod to make some test shots.

So, if you're curious to see the lens firsthand, I recommend going to the show to take a look.

uhh... no, that aint gonna happen... smile
alert moderator
Sam Rohn

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 23:42 GMT
here is a single image i shot with the madoka 180° fisheye on sony NEX 5n at the recent NYC 2012 IVRPA conference

see the original thread here -

www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/pe...

this lens was on jook's camera, he said the images from this lens (3 or 4 around) did not stitch well in PTGUI due to odd projection...

sam
- - - - -
www.samrohn.com
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 0:19 GMT
It's an orthographic projection. So the tangent at the edge is perpendicular to a ray parallel to the projection surface which means you lose just about all the visual information near the edge.

In other words, forgeddaboutit....
alert moderator
enbilaman

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:24 GMT
updated: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:27 GMT

Sam Rohn said:

here is a single image i shot with the madoka 180° fisheye on sony NEX 5n at the recent NYC 2012 IVRPA conference
(skip)
this lens was on jook's camera, he said the images from this lens (3 or 4 around) did not stitch well in PTGUI due to odd projection...

sam

PTGui handles "pure Orthographic" circular images without any problem: stitching four images is easy to do and the output is accurate but it cannot cope with the extreme peripheral few pixels of the image (actually **no** software can perform such a feat because the required and hefty interpolation is hampered in this heavily compressed annular region).
This fact is very easy to verify by inputting 4 adequate such "synthetic" images that you can output from Flexify 2 for instance. Note that AutoPano Giga 3.0 a1 can now also provide such Ortographic material but... not as easily as Flexify 2 can.

I may conclude from Jook's statement that the Madoka 180 lens projection is not 100 % Orthographic and probably it is far from emulating correctly this theoretical projection... Experiment with a set of real images should fully answer this interrogation soon.

Michel
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:10 GMT
I've asked Yasuhara for a set of images at least 4 times over the last two months and they keep evading what should be a very simple thing to do.
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 55
first prev Prev 1 2 3 4 next next last