Forum: Q & A

Thread: Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 update

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
DennisS

Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 update
Posted: 5 May 2012 at 19:13 GMT
This update removes (or moves) the manual CA adjustment sliders. If you go to the profile tab, you are expected to select from their profiles. The Sigma 8mm profile does NOT remove all the CA.

The Tokina is not even listed.

Anyone know how to get to the manual CA sliders (other than uninstalling the update(?
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Re: Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 update
Posted: 5 May 2012 at 20:06 GMT
If you look down on the profiles tab you find an option for Ca
This is completely automatic. Also for any lens old or new.

It does not need to have a profile. Even my old
lenses from the 70 and 80s are perfectly optimized for Ca.

You also need to check the defringe of course because that is a much more important matter for most fisheyes.

The 2 options should not have been on 2 tabs of course as they belong together.

Hans
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 5 May 2012 at 20:15 GMT
updated: 5 May 2012 at 20:17 GMT
I have lenses that are not listed in any of the profiles.

None of the profiles remove the CA properly.

After doing much research, the only way to get the sliders back is to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop, then install ACR 6.6. Turning off automatic updates for ACR can be done afterwards.

Even if the automatic CA adjustments work 95% of the time, the user still needs to be able to tweak the setting. Adobe does NOT know what is best for all users. Providing a manual override will guarantee compatibility with any and all photos.
alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 5 May 2012 at 20:49 GMT
updated: 5 May 2012 at 20:58 GMT
DO NOT USE THE PROFILES

The Ca removal has nothing to do with profiles even if it is in the profiles tab

No you do not need any manual adjustment.

I have done tests on all the lenses we normally use for panoramas and the maximal manual removal with the old sliders, CA+defringe all is identical.

You can download two examples here, these are Photoshop layers. Here is Tokina 10-17 at 10mm
www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCA-to...

Nikor 10.5 on 5D no Exif nothing for Camera Raw to identify.This is a smaller crop from center and corner.

www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CameraRaw/ACR_autoCAsma...

As I already said the defringe is a much more important option than CA removal.

Thats why Adobe has developed a very advanced defringe option in LightRoom
blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-colo...

If I understand it right it will also be an option in Photoshop CS6 Camera Raw.

Hans
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 5 May 2012 at 21:18 GMT
updated: 5 May 2012 at 21:23 GMT
THE MIGHTY OZ HAS SPOKEN!

I have done tests on all the lenses we normally use for panoramas and the maximal manual removal with the old sliders, CA+defringe all is identical.
I hope you do not include me in your "we". None of the lenses I use share the same correction numbers. The settings are all different. That is why ACR allows you to save your settings.

No you do not need any manual adjustment.
If I want sliders, I want them. If 6.7 does not give me what I want, I will go back to 6.6. End of story.

My original question was about getting the sliders back without uninstalling. None of your posts have anything to do with the original question. This is not a discussion on the need for sliders or not.

After doing much research, the answer is that in order to roll back to an earlier version of ACR, you are looking at a reinstall.

Please keep your answers on topic.
alert moderator
Gary Davies

Posted: 6 May 2012 at 11:00 GMT
This was a surprise to me too first time I used it. I checked the reduce CA box and found it did not remove purple fringing so it's a step backwards in my opinion. I have a Nikon 10.5mm.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 6 May 2012 at 11:16 GMT
I recently updated to ACR 6.7 also and wasn't impressed that the manual sliders had been removed. Though I had some idea it was coming from reading about it on DPReview some time back.

From reading about ACR 7.0 and Adobe Lightroom 4.x it appears that ACR 6.7 is a stop gap release.

I like Hans have run varying tests and have been quite impressed, even on non profiled lenses like the (Modified) Samyang MFT 7.5mm on my Sony NEX 5N. If what I read is correct the "Sliders" that are being introduced with ACR 7.0 on the "defringe controls" (that I don't see with the ACR 6.7 release). This sounds to be a major advantage and improvement over the older CA Controls we are familiar with.

Like Dennis, I also like to have a way to manually take control and why we are without sliders in this update is a little bewildering and annoying. But I reserve judgment and I'm relatively happy with the results on the images I'm processing ATM.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 6 May 2012 at 11:28 GMT
updated: 6 May 2012 at 11:29 GMT

Gary Davies said:

This was a surprise to me too first time I used it. I checked the reduce CA box and found it did not remove purple fringing so it's a step backwards in my opinion. I have a Nikon 10.5mm.
CA and Purple fringing are not the same thing (although we like to deal with them at the same time!). You must use the (Lens Corrections Profile) CA check box inconjunction with the Defringe All Edges option on the next Lens Corrections Manual (Tab).

You do NOT need to check the Lens Corrections "Profile" (Enable Lens Profile Corrections) check box to enable the CA check box.

Really as Hans stated already these two options should have remained on the same tab, one beneath the other.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Gary Davies

Posted: 7 May 2012 at 14:15 GMT
I stand corrected (literally!) laugh
alert moderator