Forum: Q & A

Thread: Canon 60D - 10 - 22 Canon Wide Lens Settings?

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Lola

Canon 60D - 10 - 22 Canon Wide Lens Settings?
Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 15:21 GMT
Hello all,
I usually use an Oly 410 with my NN5L and it works pretty good, but I have to send it in for issues and they usually keep it for around 2 weeks. I rented a Canon 60D (just to try it out and due to it's video capabilities) and have been trying to set-up it up on my NN5L. I do real estate photography and doing 360s for interiors are very unforgiving if you do not have the set-up exact. With my Oly and 11-22 lens I was able to go to it's widest point in portrait mode and take 12 pics around. With the 60D/10-22 lens tried at 10, 12, 14 there are no stitching issues, but the look is distorted - it makes the room look long and narrow. Any suggestions? and if someone out there has this equipment I sure would appreciate your settings to try out.
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Re: Canon 60D - 10 - 22 Canon Wide Lens Settings?
Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 15:47 GMT
updated: 13 Feb 2012 at 16:00 GMT
Hi Lola,

This is a database that sometimes can help you to get forward:

wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

Data for Canon 60D
For LRS = Lower rail setting : H + offset of NN5 for reference point 13mm on lower rail = 53,5mm

You have to test this with your own equipment:

www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
www.easypano.com/forum/displa...PagePosition=1

www.vrwave.com/panoramic-lens-database/canon/

What software do you use? Be sure to get the lens settings right, exif sometimes gives wrong results, specially in the area below or around 16mm. Preferences of settings in software for lens settings might give a wrong result.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Heinz
alert moderator
iam360Texas

Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 15:53 GMT
updated: 13 Feb 2012 at 15:57 GMT
Canon 60d has a crop factor of 1.6. So if you set the lens to 10mm it really is 16mm effective 35mm conversion.

I think that with the camera in Portrait orientation, you can take 8 images around the 360 degree horizon and achieve good stitching as long as you have properly found the no parallax point [NPP] on the panorama head/camera lens. The top and bottom of the stitched image might not be fully converged meaning there might be a hole.

You did not mention if your work is for the internet or print viewing.

Yes you will see some barrel distortion and this is normal. Your output viewing with Adobe Flash viewer? The Flash viewer will correct the barrel distortion.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 16:48 GMT
updated: 13 Feb 2012 at 17:08 GMT

Lola said:

With the 60D/10-22 lens tried at 10, 12, 14 there are no stitching issues, but the look is distorted

What lens you use makes no difference to the look of the panorama if the images are stitched ok. You'll get a difference in maximum size of the full 360x180 equirectangular stitched image, but otherwise the images should be virtually the same and the room should look just the same in the spherical viewer. (Make sure that the pixel dimensions of the equirectangular image are in the exact ratio 2:1, e.g. 6000x3000). If you are seeing significant differences, please post two samples that illustrate the differences.

John
alert moderator
Lola

Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 19:56 GMT
Thank you everyone! Even though I've been doing real estate photography for almost 4 yrs - some of what you are talking about is a little bit over my head, but I will try to review the links etc. you sent me and make some sense of it. To answer some questions, the software I use is Autopano pro latest version, but sometimes it has problems with blank walls and thats when I use Panorama Suite 2. I do have the trial version of PTGUI but haven't done much with it. I only use panoramas for web and put it on Tourbuzz (real estate virtual tour software) that automatically takes the flat image and turns it into a Cylindrical 360. It accepts 7200 X 1200 size. This is where in PTGUI I don't know how to change that. Anyways, I will review what you have provided and see if I can work it out. If I still have issues I will post images. Thank you!
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 20:24 GMT

Lola said:

It accepts 7200 X 1200 size. This is where in PTGUI I don't know how to change that.

In PTGui, you can select cylindrical projection via the Panorama Editor window - either using the Projection menu or by clicking on the green cylinder icon in the tool bar at the top of that window. You can set the size 7200x1200 on the Create Panorama tab in the width & height parameter boxes after unchecking the "Link width and height" box. Make sure that the horizontal fov of the panorama is set to 360° as shown at the bottom of the Panorama Editor window (set by the horizontal scroll button).

John
alert moderator