FourPiSr

First panorama with new fish eye lens
Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 20:12 GMT
I bought a fish eye lens yesterday and this is the first panorama with it:

QuickTime:
www.4pisr.se/FullScreen.php?id=SVT

DevalVR:
www.4pisr.se/DevalVRView.php?id=SVT

The lens is a Pentax 10-17 mm fish eye zoom.
The pano is made up from 6+1+1 RAW @10 mm, 1 sec f/8, AEB ±2EV. Afterwards I realized that I had focused at 0.5 m but it came out quite sharp anyway. At f/11 I would have gotten depth of field to infinity according to the DOF table for the lens.

White balancing was a hard decision. I just thought it looked better with the outdoors part in more realistic color. Should I have masked the part illuminated by flourecent light and white balanced it separately?

Seems also I need to do something about color abberration. The sign has some green and blue fringes.

Lennart
alert moderator
mskp

Re: First panorama with new fish eye lens
Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 20:28 GMT
Hi, Lennart
Another sleepless night?? I like the greenish (?) parts, maybe you´re right it might not be realistic as the outdoors. How would you have separated WB. In different shots? WB for the outside and another WB inside and then Photoshop?
Regards and congratulations for your previous work too, as this is the first time I reply to one of your posts.
Martin
alert moderator
FourPiSr

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 20:42 GMT
Thanks Martin!

Well, I was contemplating masking the flourecent light area in Photoshop by either using the masking tool or trying to create a mask based on color and then pick a grey point within the flourecent light area. That would possibly work but like you I kind of like the different colors even if they are not realistic.

Lennart
alert moderator
shel

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 20:51 GMT
beautiful panorama, excellent colors, sharp! I could barely notice the color around the sign, don't know if its CA or just high contrast. The pentax has some high contrast artifacts, especially at smaller apertures. Usually, I don't notice any at F/10.
How do you like the 10-17mm as opposed to the 18-55mm kit lens?
- Shel
alert moderator
FourPiSr

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 21:34 GMT
Thanks Shel!
I only need eight shots as opposed to 38 so it is almost five times faster to shoot and then processing is almost five times faster as well. Now I can autobracket exposure in RAW and get two panos on my memory card. It also appears to be sharper than the 18-55 or at least as sharp. I've been looking at the 10-17 lens for quite a while now. Finally had the funds for it.
A nice surprize was last night when I was checking the entrance pupil and found that it was perfect with my home built panohead that I made for my 18-55. The only drawback that I can think of right now is that with my K100D 6MP camera I get 8500 pixels max resolution horizontally but I only use 6000 so it is not a big concern.

Lennart
alert moderator