Forum: Galleries

Thread: 5 images bracketed for a spherical panorama...

Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

5 images bracketed for a spherical panorama...
Posted: 9 Dec 2013 at 20:08 GMT
updated: 9 Dec 2013 at 20:10 GMT
Hi ! Here's a 360x180° of my living / dining-room !

Due to the extreme differences of light, I had to take a serie of 5 shots, bracketed +2, +1, 0, -1, -2 EV and merge them before to be able to build this panorama !

Nikon D800 + fisheye Nikon 10.5 f/2.8 (shaved) - 5 x 4 shots at 90° plus 1 for the Nadir !

www.360cities.net/image/my-living-room-brazil#240.00,0.00,80.0

Comments ? Critiques ?

smile
J-P.
alert moderator
machintruc

Re: 5 images bracketed for a spherical panorama...
Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 18:39 GMT
Nice ! What did you use to merge the shots with different exposures ?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 2:26 GMT
JP,

You have one very nice set of panos there.

Time to take them to the next level.

Do you shoot RAW? If not you need to start. Several of your panos have shadows that are still too dark and highlights that are too bright. I also see (upon closer inspection) a bunch of CA in all your images.

Shooting and processing RAW will take care of just about all your issues.

The pano you pointed to above could have been done with a single set of RAW images shot much earlier in the day before the sun go too bright.

You do have some mis match in the Nadir patch. You have to zoom in a bit before you can see ghosting of the tiles. PTGui can handle this very easily.

Keep at it. They all look very nice.

Dennis
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 14:11 GMT
updated: 20 Dec 2013 at 14:21 GMT
Hi Dennis !

Thanks for commenting and for the tips !

Indeed I allways shoot RAW ! I use Capture NX2 (Nikon) for converting to TIF and like it very much ! But...for cleaning CA, it's not very efficient ! I found Photoshop's Camera RAW better for getting rid of it ! Is there another -better- way ?

About the living-room pano, I have to bracket the images, as it's ALLWAYS receiving a lot of light ! I tried other times of day... there's allways more brightness differences than -even- my D800 can swallow !

OTOH, do you have any tips on SHARPENING ? when to do it, during the TIF conversion process, on the final equirectangular file, both... ???

BTW, about the mismatch in the Nadir, how can I correct those ghosts ? By adding more control points ?

smile
J-P.
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 14:14 GMT
updated: 20 Dec 2013 at 14:18 GMT
Hi Machin-truc-chose !

I loaded the RAW files DIRECTLY into PTGui, and used its HDR feature !

BTW, I found a great software for merging HDR images: SNS-HDR Pro ! It's not cheap, but IMO it's far better than Photomatix Pro !

wink
J-P.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 15:24 GMT
JP,

As with anything automated, you lose control over the process.

Although PTGui can do hdr straight from RAW images, you need to take control over each step.

Use Photoshop ACR to convert your bracketed RAW images into .tifs. Here is where you will remove all CA, fringing, apply a touch of noise reduction (as needed) and just a touch of sharpening (not too much).

Use something like Photomatix to blend each set of images.

Now you are ready to stitch just one set of images in PPTGui.

Here is John's viewpoint correction tutorial: www.johnhpanos.com/ptgvpt.htm This in combination with proper masking should correct your Nadir patching issues.

Remember to keep everything at full resolution until the very last step.

After stitching bring the image into Photoshop for the final color corrections and final sharpening.

The very last step is to publish your pano. Here is where you reduce the quality in preparation for publication to the internet.

In your living room pano the walls just do not look quite right. That is probably a result of letting PTGui do everything.

Creating panos is not yet a science. What works well for me may not work well at all for you. Keep practicing and trying new things. I would get away from letting PTGui blend and stitch RAW images. Feed PTGui only your final set of blended .tif images. Apply most (if not all) sharpening at the very last step on the final stitched image.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 17:58 GMT
Thanks Dennis for the tips !

For blending images, I found a nice -IMHO better than Photomatix- software: SNS-HDR ! Have you ever tried it ?

...and, OK for loading only ONE set of *.TIF images in PTGui !

laugh
J-P.
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 21:32 GMT
Hello Jean-Pierre,
I tried PTGUI's automatic HDR - fusion and I don't like the results. In my examples the shadows were too dark, the highlights too bright. Exactly this shouldn't be the result of a HDR processing. I am happy with the results my cheap and very effective program called enfusegui.

You can have a look at it too: software.bergmark.com/enfusegui/Main.html

Beautiful work, keep on with it.

Burak
alert moderator