Thread: First Shot with Ricoh Theta

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
bigshot

First Shot with Ricoh Theta
Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 5:53 GMT
Hi

I am brand new to pano shooting. Just got a ricoh theta in the mailbox today and here is my first shot with it

Having dinner with pals
theta360.com/s/Yq
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: First Shot with Ricoh Theta
Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 8:13 GMT
updated: 27 Oct 2013 at 8:14 GMT
OK for a bit of fun but no quality to speak of.
Foot print is small which is good but that is a lot of money for a what basically equates to a toy. No money to be made from that quality I wouldn't think!

Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
bigshot

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 17:59 GMT
Who's making money? I'm shooting pictures. (Although I can see Real Estate agents using this).

This panorama was shot with one click, and I was looking at it complete on my iPhone in less than 30 seconds. 15 seconds later, I had it posted on my Facebook page. I can carry it around in my shirt pocket. I can do instantaneous shots of moving subjects without worrying about stitching errors. Try to do all that yourself!
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 5:10 GMT
Sorry dude, I didn't want to rain on your party.
Just stating my opinion on what I saw and what it is.

If your happy, that's great!

Professional panographers take things a little more seriously and none are a fan of inferior results making any impact on our businesses.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
bigshot

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 6:14 GMT
OK. I get it. You're afraid it will cut into your business.

That's fine for you. But I am taking pictures of my family and friends and places I go. Being able to shoot 360 degree panoramas in one click means that I'm getting to shoot panoramas. If I had to use my DSLR to stitch together multiple images, I couldn't do it, because people and kids and my dogs just don't stand still. Not to mention the investment of time it takes to finesse the stitching process.

With this camera, I can shot pictures in real time and see them immediately and share them with my friends immediately. There is a value to that. It's ironic that someone in a forum dedicated to panorama photography wouldn't see that value. But I understand. As these consumer cameras improve and develop, there will be less of a market for professional panorama photographers, just like DSLRs have cut into the market for event photographers.
alert moderator
weiyan

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 at 0:13 GMT
Fantastic!
It can capture critical moment. If you could dance with the grainy quality, it can make artistic panos. Looking in to the theta360, a photo with color balloons look like pastel.

I am rather traditionalist so go for a NN with a aps c cam. Theta is too expensive to me. Its better for existing iphone user.
alert moderator
zugarich

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 at 9:51 GMT
Hi bigshot,

Your pano hosted on the system (amazon S3) was just 2048x1024 & quite noisy. It may have been degraded some how. can you share the original file of that pano for our better review? thx.
alert moderator