back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 16-30 of 37
first prev prev 1 2 3 next next last
Author  Message 
Flashificator

Re: Museum Kunstpalast, Duesseldorf
Posted: 8 Jun 2013 at 20:07 GMT
Well, I just tried with Firefox, IE and Opera on the same Win8 computer I used with Chrome, and there are no jaggies on any of those browsers once the final tile set has loaded.

alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 at 23:32 GMT
This is getting old. Some systems display the panos differently than others.

If the people who PAY for services are happy, who are we to continue arguing about jaggies. Truth be told all panos have issues.. I personally see nothing to be gained by spending time zooming in and out while panning around until that one spot can be found that shows jagged edges. I just do not want to spend that much time "inspecting" anyones pano.

I would rather enjoy this very nice panorama. I wish everyone else who does giga panos would stop doing them just for the sake of the technology. At least thisvone is very interesting to view. "Worlds biggest giga pano?" I say BORING!
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 0:23 GMT
Spot on Dennis!

alert moderator
klausesser

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 11:19 GMT
Dennis, Trausti - i fully agree. Shooting senseless Gigapixels really is boring.

Very few of them really make sense in terms of transporting real and vital information related to a theme.

Someone needs to pay the effort. Very rarely they get payed at all.

So especially under commercial aspects: they rarely make sense.

I did a 25GPx pano somem time ago - it´s SO much effort to do it perfectly that you would need to ask VERY much money for making it a commercial success.

best, Klaus
alert moderator
klausesser

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 11:23 GMT
updated: 9 Jun 2013 at 11:37 GMT
John - i don´t know your or Burak´s hardware.

I asked around my collegues, friends and clients: NOBODY has those mysterious jaggies displaying whichever of my panos.

So it´s clear: they´re NOT in my data.

Can you recognize them in my added screenshots?

best, Klaus

PS:
The only explanation which comes to my mind: maybe your browser takes the HTML5/JS version instead of the Flash-version . . !? They´re in the same data.

HTML5/JS work - but they´re in an early stage and maybe working badly.
That´s the only explanation i have.

PS2:
John, Burak:
Please show us a 700mpx sphere you did in a combined version for Flash and HTML5 using P2VR.
I would very much like to see how it looks on my system.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 17:22 GMT

klausesser said:

I asked around my collegues, friends and clients: NOBODY has those mysterious jaggies displaying whichever of my panos.

So it´s clear: they´re NOT in my data.

Can you recognize them in my added screenshots?

Klaus, Yes, I can see the jaggies in embryonic form in one of your screenshots as here (at 200%):

As the line features are rotated to bring them closer into alignment with the horizontal or vertical, the spacing of the jaggies becomes larger (i.e. fewer per inch). When you vary the zoom setting, the size of the jaggies changes and at the sweet spot they become quite prominent. That is how I reproduced the exmaple I posted earlier (which was a 100% screenshot). (FYI The screen I'm using here now is my 20" Dell Ultrasharp IPS panel).

These artifacts are small and the fact that in any case both I and you had/have difficulty in reproducing them suggest that they are unlikely to trouble many people.

Oh, and as I have never attempted to shoot a spherical panorama quite as large as 700MP myself, I'm afraid I cannot provide an example processed with Pano2VR.

John
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 18:34 GMT

klausesser said:

PS:
The only explanation which comes to my mind: maybe your browser takes the HTML5/JS version instead of the Flash-version . . !? They´re in the same data.

My flawless viewing happens with the Flash output. IF I was fast enough to take a screenshot after moving the view and zoom, I might get a jaggie... but that is in the split seconds before the next tile set loads.

alert moderator
klausesser

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 19:12 GMT
displaying a screenshoot @200% . . . .
John - this is definitely irrational and just means wasting my time. I don´t like that.

E. O. D.

Klaus
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 19:24 GMT
Klaus, I enlarged your screenshot merely to clearly show the presence of the jaggies. The jaggies become much larger and obvious at a different zoom setting than the one you happened to use. It takes only a few moments to vary the zoom setting to see if there's a setting at which the jaggies become become a great deal more obvious on your display. I'm just trying to be helpful here in describing how to reproduce the jaggies reported by Burak.

John
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 19:59 GMT
"I'm not dead yet"
"Shut up. You'll be stone dead in a minute"
"I feel happy, I feel happy..."
WHAP!
"Thanks"
"No problem"

Sound familiar?

Seems this horse is "not quite dead yet".

This is zoomed in as close as the settings will allow me:

Please point out where this does not look nice and sharp. I do see some CA and/or fringing that could be dialed out.

If John and I are viewing the same pano at full zoom and the only difference is the hardware/software, where do you think the issue is?

Just accept the fact that different computers with different hardware/software display the exact same panoramas different.

Unless the customer is running the EXACT same hardware/software that John is running, they MIGHT see this issues. Apparently they are not since they are not complaining. I am not complaining either since the issue is not with the pano, but with the viewing platform.

Leave the fly poop in the pepper and move on for crying out loud.

*EDIT*

Actually, now that I have taken out my microscope and had a very, very long look at this screen shot, I do see what appears to be a seam that did not blend quite correctly. Looks like I found some fly poop in the pepper shaker after all.

"I'm not dead yet"
Guess not.
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 21:35 GMT
One thing is for sure: Monty Python logic never dies!

Trausti
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 22:02 GMT

DennisS said:

If John and I are viewing the same pano at full zoom

You have not read and understood my posts (but why on earth are you continuing to read them if you are not interested in them?). The jaggies do NOT appear at maximum zoom. They DO appear on my three quite different sets of hardware at at different zoom setting, and jaggies Do appear on the hardware used by Klaus, according to his own screenshots (albeit quite small due to the zoom setting not being optimum for revealing the jaggies in all their glory). My job is done: I have nothing more to contribute to the thread and will not respond further. I hope the excellent panorama will give much pleasure to the many people who will view it.

John
alert moderator
klausesser

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 22:22 GMT
" . . and jaggies Do appear on the hardware used by Klaus, according to his own screenshots (albeit quite small due to the zoom setting not being optimum for revealing the jaggies in all their glory) . . "

John - the jaggies do NOT appear in my screenshots . . unless you blow them up more than 100%.

To be honest: it´s nothing less than ridiculous to blow up a *screenshot* to over 100%!! It´s nothing but logic that pixels get enlarged - and produce jaggies.

Not being familiar with those facts means you need a lot to learn, sorry.

Klaus
alert moderator
klausesser

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 22:24 GMT
updated: 9 Jun 2013 at 22:25 GMT
"One thing is for sure: Monty Python logic never dies!"

laugh cool You name it - they´re my favourites!

best, Klaus
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 at 22:58 GMT
My bad John. I thought the claim was at maximum zoom. Sorry for not getting that part. I can imagine that at some intermediate point on any system one would see jaggies of some sort. Your point is well taken.
alert moderator
messages 16-30 of 37
first prev prev 1 2 3 next next last