Thread: Just posted first panos

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
kasenyee

Just posted first panos
Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 4:50 GMT
Hey Guys
I just started posting some of my pans. Some are commissioned, but most are just a personal project of mine.

www.alexanderpomnikow.com/panorama.html

Most are good to go on IOS/html5, but not all.

would love to get some of your thoughts.

thanks folks
alert moderator
burake

Re: Just posted first panos
Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 5:39 GMT
Hi,
You have found some very interesting subjects...Congratulations for that...I like the overall quality of your panos, but
1.)There are small issues with patching nadir, don't think the "normal" viewer will notice them, but I wouldn't leave them like that
2.)It takes too long to download your panos...There will be viewers who won't want to wait...If you want to have high-res. panos with acceptabel DL-times have a look at the multiresolution possibilities:

gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=18_1

and

gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=18_2

3.) For those beautiful interiors you have captured you can use HDR...Shoot brackets (or just one frame in Raw and pull out enough bracktes out of it) and enfuse (I use enfuseGUI, a great software)...

Should you have further questions, feel free to ask...
Regards
Burak
alert moderator
BwanaQ

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 8:50 GMT
Wow Kasenyee, great to see panos of these wonderful sites in Ethiopia, but I agree with Burke about using HDR as your panos enable the rest of us to enjoy these magnificent structures. I hope that one day I will be able yo see places like Mikael Milhaizengi for myself, but in the mean time your panos let us in.
alert moderator
kasenyee

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 12:38 GMT
updated: 29 Apr 2013 at 12:39 GMT
Thanks guys!
Multi res and HDR is on my to do list/learn list. I did shoot all of them with brackets, I just haven't the funds to buy Photomatix yet. Will look up enfuseGui though.

What's the issues with my patch?

cheers
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 13:58 GMT
In the first pano I see shadows which appear to me like the shadows of the tripod legs...Editing in Photoshop is possible...In the second one the blurry places in the nadir area remind me of shootings I made while my rig wasn't perfectly calibrated...This is very difficult to edit in Photoshop...In your fifth pano the missing part of the white line caught my attention...It would be worth for me to spend some time in Photoshop and see if I can get it better...Regards...
Burak
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 14:17 GMT
I must need new glasses because I could not see any issues with the Nadir in any of the panoramas. Take a couple of screen shots, edit the size down so it will fit here and post them. I just do not see any issues with the Nadir in any of the panoramas. The missing white line appears to be due to wear and tear, not a botched patching job. My only two issues are the very dark areas and the mouse navigation.
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 16:50 GMT
Dennis you may be right about the fifth pano...I don't know how to add a URL to an image so I have uploaded the two screenshots on ge.tt

ge.tt/4mQ97Sf?c

Regards
Burak
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 18:05 GMT
The shadows are from a stool in the picture not the tripod. They go the wrong way to be tripod shadows.

In the second one I see a bunch of shadows but no blurring. The fibers in the mat look like they all line up quite well. Hard to tell without taking a look at the original high res stitched image. Being so dark it is kind of hard to tell for sure.

Potato, potaato. It all looks good to me. Art is in the eye of the beholder and I kind of like what I see. I have had images that look like they did not line up until I went back to the original pictures and verified that the areas of concern did in fact look correct.
alert moderator
kasenyee

Posted: 1 May 2013 at 1:50 GMT
updated: 1 May 2013 at 1:56 GMT
Hey guys
DennisS, what do you mean by that? "dark areas and navigation?

Burake, thanks so much for your input!
I do agree, some of my patches are a bit lousy and need some work. I appreciate the time you have given pointing out the detailed problem areas.

and yes, many of these were shot with a rig that wasn't se properly. Not to make excuses, but I didn't want to waste time running tests when I only had a day or two per city. either way, apart from nadir shots, I don't have any stitching issues so i'm happy for my first major project.

thanks everyone, always appreciate any and all feedback!!!
Cheers
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 1 May 2013 at 2:04 GMT
updated: 1 May 2013 at 2:09 GMT
By navigation I mean that in some of the panoramas you have to drag the screen around by placing the mouse, pressing a key, then drag the panorama around. Others navigate like your typical pano does: place the mouse in the center of the screen, press the mouse button down, nudge the mouse in the direction you want to pan and the pano moves. As long as you keep the mouse in the same position with the button down the pano continues to pan around. Some of your panos behave the second way.

The dark areas are way too dark. I did a screen capture and applied Photoshops "Shadows/Highlights" and was able to lighten just the dark areas. Since I was working with a screen shot the quality is not very good.

If you have the raw images you can lighten the dark areas quite a bit without loosing the lighter areas.

...but I didn't want to waste time running tests...
Do you want quality? You need to calibrate your rig. It is not a waste of time. Once set it should not move or need further adjustment. If your rig was properly calibrated Burake would not see blurring. My poor old eyes cannot see the bluring but if he says it is there, I will defer to his superior eye sight.
alert moderator
kasenyee

Posted: 1 May 2013 at 3:06 GMT
Oh i see what you mean, thanks for the heads up.

Maybe waste was the wrong word to use, but I wasn't able to spend all my time and energy with panos. I was not travelling alone, and I also had landscapes and portraits to shoot... running daily tests wasn't realistic. I got reasonable and decent results on the few tests I ran in close quarters, so I just ran with it.

I don't know what kind of rig you have, but I'm using a NN5 and I've had the plate shift slightly in the past. What do you do to keep them solid?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 1 May 2013 at 5:03 GMT
kasenyee,

Closed quarters is the best place to calibrate your rig. When I went to Europe the first time I tried a monopod rig for the very first time. I also did not have time to do a full and proper calibration. Luckely I was able to stitch at least 1 pano each day and make adjustments as needed. I shot about 20 panoramas every day so I had plenty of material to work with. I now understand and can relate to your "waste of time" statement.

I fabricate my own equipment. I have a full machine shop in my garage. I actually designed and built the first purpose built pano head with a built in nadir adapter. That helped Nick decide to make the Nadir adapter you can purchase today. Allowing the camera to swing out for the Nadir shot is not my original idea.

I found the lens ring clamp method the best way to mount a camera onto a pano head. No upper rail, no camera plates, no extra clamps. When you remove the pano lens from the camera there is no evidence you ever use your camera for panos as there is no camera plate to move. As a bonus I can swap out different camera bodies and not worry about adjusting the pano head. Since the upper stop is built into the ring clamp base, I can use different camera/lens combinations without adjusting the pano head. I am not sure if Nick sells all the parts to convert your NN5 to a ring mount system.

Dennis
alert moderator
sweet pepper

Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:21 GMT
wow~~the photos are attracting and the procress is amazing. i have a program named panorama maker, can i use it to make some photos like above? of course, the 360 panoramas are best.
panorama maker: www.arcsoft.com/panorama-maker/
360 panorama: www.arcsoft.com/topics/panorama-maker/make-360-pa...
alert moderator