Forum: Galleries

Thread: El Rancho, Gallup New Mexico

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Bongo

El Rancho, Gallup New Mexico
Posted: 1 Apr 2013 at 17:43 GMT
As far as I know this is the only interactive panorama of this Historic but funky hotel.
fieldofview.com/flickr/?page=photos/bongoinc/8607...
alert moderator
Bob Stone

Re: El Rancho, Gallup New Mexico
Posted: 2 Apr 2013 at 0:21 GMT
Nice pano, but there is a vertical line running through the chair to the left of the girl.

On a side note, sorry about the Lobos, I thought they would go further this year. cry
alert moderator
Bongo

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 at 22:15 GMT
Yeah, for some reason Flickr's "Field of View" engine has this problem!
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 at 4:46 GMT

Bongo said:

As far as I know this is the only interactive panorama of this Historic but funky hotel.
Pretty sure I've seen this hotel before in a series of panoramas shot by Chris in Florida quite some years ago. Cool place!

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Bongo

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 at 16:05 GMT
Update on that "vertical line" running through the joint of the pano; I contacted Aldo Hoeben at FieldofView.com and he was kind enough to offer the following,
"My guess would be you postprocess your panorama in PhotoShop, and one of your steps is resizing the image.
If you resize the panorama in Photoshop, make sure you Flatten the image before resizing. Otherwise Photoshop will introduce slight transpacency to the edges of the layers in your document, resulting in the faint line you see.

It also looks like you are using Photoshop to blend your layers. Which I do too, because very often it produces better blends than PTGui. But you should be aware that Photoshop is not aware of the 360 degree seam. Especially in the sunset panorama (fieldofview.com/flickr/?page=photos/bongoinc/3379...) there is an obvious difference in exposure between the left and the right side of the 360 degree seam.

Personally I blend my panoramas 3 times in photoshop: First I copy all the layers, and offset them by 50% horizontally. I blend and merge these offset layers, offset the resulting blend back, and remove the center section (which will contain a non-blended seam). Then I blend the non-offset originals, and remove the left and right portion of the result. Then I blend the two blended layers. This gives a blend that does take the 360 degree seam into account.

This seems to have corrected the problem in later panos.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 at 16:41 GMT
Bongo,

Sounds like your guy is not as experienced in PTGui as he is in Photoshop. To me all this blending in Photoshop is a whole lot of extra work.

If your rig is calibrated and your images do not have any parallax, PTGui does an absolute wonderful job blending.

I would investigate a bit further to see why your buddy is doing so much work in Photoshop. I personally use Photoshop for final color corrections, saturation and sharpening just before publishing. Other than to correct for parallax I have never used Photoshop to "fix" blending issues from PTGui. Photoshop does have more tools available to fix parallax issues that PTGui cannot. Good pictures in = good panoramas out.

Dennis
alert moderator