Forum: Galleries

Thread: suggestions for improvement

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
burake

suggestions for improvement
Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 17:28 GMT
Here's the latest work of me and a friend of mine...Quite a challenge for us with reflections everywhere...We want to be really good in this and we will never know what went wrong if not shared with likely-minded...So please let us know if you seee something which needs further improvement (at some places we left the shadow of the tripod because it was very faint and trying to remove in Photoshop could cause more trouble)

www.bilisimfotograf.com/images/sanal-tur/mesutsev...

Regards
Burak
alert moderator
DennisS

Re: suggestions for improvement
Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 20:29 GMT
Burak,

How long you been doing this? 5 years now? Great job.

I like the height you set the camera. When viewing a door way you have pretty much equal parts ceiling and floor and the door way is square.

The entire tour looks just a bit dark. Instead of shooting in the middle of the day with all the blinds closed, shoot early in the morning or later on in the day. Having the blinds open (if the subject matter outside is ok to look at) makes the rooms look more inviting. You may need to shoot the house over a period of a few days. At least the windows are not blown out.

Zoom out a bit on your initial view to allow more horizontal field of view. I back off my initial zoom to the point of right before the scene starts to distort. The smaller rooms will look better. I allow a small bit of zoom so anyone using a mobile device can resize the screen for a better experience. In reality there is usually nothing to add to the experience if you zoom in (other than a pixellated picture).

If you limit the amount of zooming in you can remove more detail to allow faster loading times. I found myself moving on to the next room before the one I was looking at finished loading,

Pay attention to the opening scene when each pano loads. That scene should be able to stand on its own as a standard picture. The opening view can kill a good panorama. The opening view should pull the user in and cause them to want to look around.

As to your tripod shadows, "Content Aware Fill" in Photoshop should be your best friend. I know that it is mine.

You could probably apply a bit more sharpening.

Great job removing your reflection in the mirrors.

I am really nit picking here and cannot find any major issues. I just wish I had the time right now to examine each and every pano. Your work is very nice indeed. You are going up the learning curve very quickly. Now go back and do the panos hand held(!)

Dennis
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 12:08 GMT
Dennis thank you very much for all the good advise...
Regards
Burak
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 at 11:55 GMT
Dennis I have to come back to this statement:
"If you limit the amount of zooming in you can remove more detail to allow faster loading times. I found myself moving on to the next room before the one I was looking at finished loading,"
Does the loading time have to do with the amount of zooming in? I was thinking that it has to do with the size of the flash file and this again has to do with the size of the pano...This was when I was not using the panotour pro which has multiresolution...At that time I was keeping the panos small (5000x2000) and now I am using 10000x5000 with panotour pro, so is in this example...

Regards
Burak
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 at 17:57 GMT
Burake,

Zooming in on a pano just for the sake of being able to zoom is useless and does not add anything to the experience if there is nothing really new to see by zooming in. Gigapixel technology allows for very large amounts of zooming.

The further in you allow zooming, the more detail you will need to include. At some point the image starts to degrade and becomes pixilated.

You need to strike a balance between how much zoom you allow and how much detail you include. Less zoom = less detail needed = smaller file size = faster load times.

I provide a bit of zoom in order to allow the user to resize the pano. I have found that one size does not fit all when trying to view a pano on a computer or mobile device.

You can display a 10000x5000 pano with good detail and a small file size if you do not allow too much zoom. If you do not allow any zoom you can strip out a bunch of detail. This will yield a smaller file which in turn will provide quicker load times.

If you absolutely must allow a great deal of zooming you can start looking at multi tile and Gigapixel.

Dennis
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 at 7:04 GMT
Hi Dennis,
I've tried what you've suggested and limited the zoom for comparision(another virtual tour)...Here are the links; first one with more zooming-in and second one with less zooming-in:

www.bilisimfotograf.com/images/sanal-tur/pinargar...

and

www.bilisimfotograf.com/images/sanal-tur/buildles...

With the internet speeds here the loading time of the first one is also OK and I cannot see a big difference between loading times of both; so may I ask you to check it with your connection? I really appreciate the time you take and thank you very much in advance..
Regards
Burak
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 at 8:37 GMT
There is really not a lot of difference in the zoom settings. Plus you are loading a whole lot more than just a single pano.

To do a more accurate test, put up only a single pano that has a whole lot of zoom and the same pano without any zooming at all. With the one that has no zooming, you should be able to take out a lot of detail. Get the two to look the same when they open.

This is all really subjective. As you play with the compression settings the file size will get smaller. Logically smaller files load quicker.

When I was trying to figure all this out someone took one of my panos, turned off all zoom and was able to maintain high quality with a small file size. The pano without any zooming loaded so much quicker.

Some zoom, ok quality, quick load time (at least here in Los Angeles): www.dlsphoto.net/FallColors2011/SouthTwinLakes/in...
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 at 6:54 GMT
Thank you very much Dennis...I decided to play with the jpeg quality...Quality 8 gives quite acceptable results and smaller file sizes...

(This one is jpeg quality 8 : www.bilisimfotograf.com/images/sanal-tur/mesutsev...)

Regards
Burak
alert moderator