Thread: 360 Panorama with "live" aurora

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
Arctic78

360 Panorama with "live" aurora
Posted: 4 Feb 2013 at 13:43 GMT
Hi,

I have for some time wished to make a 360 panorama with a time lapse of the aurora embedded. Just before Christmas I managed to shoot the rarer daytime aurora and after some trial and error, I was happy with the result and published the pano on my website:

360svalbard.com/daytime-aurora-boralis/

Have you seen anyone else done something similar or is this a first?

Regards,
Tommy
alert moderator
burake

Re: 360 Panorama with "live" aurora
Posted: 4 Feb 2013 at 21:05 GMT
Fantastic work Tommy!...I haven't seen something like this before...Thanks for sharing...
Burak
alert moderator
enbilaman

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 at 23:51 GMT
Tommy,

Thank you so much to make this animation and to share it with us.
I had never seen video inlayed into the sky above with such a natural beauty. What a marvelous viewing experience!

Michel
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 at 9:13 GMT
It's a lovely panorama, and as usual the aurora is shot with timelapse. I've seen many films of such displays yet have little idea what the real life experience looks like. In this case the clip is 30 seconds long, but what was the real time length of the display recorded? Judging from the movement of the stars, it looks like it might be of the order of 30-40 minutes or so. I just wondered whether the real life displays might be slightly disappointing when the swirling movements are so much slower that we are used to seeing in these movies. However, I had a look on YouTube and did find one real time movie that is very impressive.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezobpz55EEY

It would be nice to see some displays like this shot with a circular fisheye in real time and converted to a 360x180 spherical movie.

John
alert moderator
Arctic78

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 at 11:45 GMT
Thank you for your comments.

The footage you link to is quite amazing. First time I have seen anyone filmed the aurora with such quality. The aurora can move as quickly as you see on the clip, but can also move very slowly. You almost have to look away and back again to see that it has moved. I don’t have my files here, but I think the time lapse where shot during a period of about 20 minutes. I always try to make the aura time lapse as life like as possible. Most of the aurora time lapse you see are moving way too fast. (Also in BBC produced nature films.)

I haven’t tried filming the aurora, but I’ll have shot at it the next opportunity using high ISO. (Probably around 25600 or higher.) On the panorama you can see the Aurora observatory to the left of the pole, left of the big antennas. If you go into their webpage and select ‘Data’ then ‘All sky video’ you could, if you are lucky, see live aurora.

kho.unis.no/

Regards,
Tommy
alert moderator
Jaco Steenekamp

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 at 8:41 GMT
Amazing Panorama

Do you mind telling us how you did this?
It looks as if you used krpano tools to make this, am i right?

It would be great if you could share your expertise with us.

Thanks

Regards
Jacob
alert moderator