Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 18
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
JdT

bamboo forest in Maui
Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 1:40 GMT
updated: 29 Dec 2012 at 1:40 GMT
There are some obvious errors but I thought it would be a fun one to share anyway. Thanks for looking. smile
www.ritchiephotography.com/tours/bambooforest.html
alert moderator
Judy-A

Re: bamboo forest in Maui
Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 20:42 GMT
Nice lush scene, even if the highlights are a bit overexposed.

When I viewed it on the iPad, I experienced vertigo. You seem to have both autorotation and gyro enabled which are fighting with each other. If you want to use gyro, then I recommend that you add a skin button so the user can turn it off.

Judy
alert moderator
JdT

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 0:02 GMT
Thanks for the comments. I processed this one different than usual... I went a little more surreal for fun. I let the highlights blow out some to enhance the "wet" look. I had a hard time deciding whether to go natural or very surreal but ended up somewhere between.

There is a button to toggle auto rotation. I didn't see a built in option for a button to toggle gyro in Panotour (maybe because holding the idevice still deactivates gyro?).
alert moderator
JdT

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 0:28 GMT
www.ritchiephotography.com/tours/bamboo.html

Another that was processed with a more natural look... and no gyro.
alert moderator
vrbali

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 14:07 GMT
This looks a lot more natural on my screen (2011 MacBook Pro). Your previous pano had a "radioactive" saturation.
Exposure and sharpness look pretty good.

Best to choose a different color for the interface, the Browsing Tips screen when clicking "?" is almost not readable like this.
Also, for me the auto rotate speed is a bit to fast at the default setting in Panotour.
alert moderator
JdT

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 at 4:07 GMT
updated: 4 Jan 2013 at 4:07 GMT
You're right! I'll change the interface in the future. Using white without testing wasn't smart.

I spent minimal time shooting and processing... still should have done better. These are purely fun that were photographed while in "vacation mode" and processed half asleep after work.

Here are a couple more... thanks again for the feedback... I really do appreciate it!

www.ritchiephotography.com/tours/kapalua.html
www.ritchiephotography.com/tours/honomanu.html
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 at 4:40 GMT
JdT,

Nice work. I have a couple of suggestions.

Back off a bit on the color saturation. The first pano is over saturated. Sand does not look like that. The sky does not look right. The greens are way too bright. When I saturate, I push the colors until the greens and yellows start to look florescent. I back it off just a touch. I then set the blue back to zero so the sky looks proper. Saturated candy colors look good on postcards, but not on vacation panoramas.

Make the sound of the ocean directional. I do not know what software you use, but Pano2VR allows you to define a hot spot where the sound will originate. Having stereo sound is really cool when you hear it change as you rotate around. When you are looking away from the ocean the sound should be much lower than when you are looking directly at the ocean. Here is an example of directional stereo sound: www.dlsphoto.net/Yosemite2011/Mist_Trail/_10_Top_...

Keep them coming.

Dennis
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 at 9:36 GMT
updated: 4 Jan 2013 at 9:36 GMT

DennisS said:

Make the sound of the ocean directional. I do not know what software you use, but Pano2VR allows you to define a hot spot where the sound will originate.

A right-click reveals that it was created with Kolor's Panotour Pro which has the facility to include directional sound via sound hotspots (as well as background sound for the tour and background sound for each scene).

Andrew
alert moderator
vrbali

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 at 13:13 GMT
updated: 4 Jan 2013 at 13:17 GMT
As Dennis mentioned, the saturation is still a bit to strong on the new panoramas. You can see this for example on the shadow area of the path between the trees, it's too blue.

Nice idea to take a panorama from the back of the car, however the white balance is ~7% off, the sky is greenish.. When you use Photoshop, add an adjustment color balance layer and move the magenta/green slider to the magenta side (-18) and see how much better the whole pano starts to look wink
alert moderator
JdT

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 at 23:38 GMT
updated: 4 Jan 2013 at 23:54 GMT
I agree with everything said. There is a lot that can be improved. I think things are more saturated in my dreams and I can't stop dreaming about going back wink I can point out several more issues too.

I spend a large portion of my work day processing images. All paid work is processed on color calibrated monitors, with wb references, very high standards and workflow, etc, etc. All mistakes/issues MUST be fixed. Pretty tedious after doing it for years.

To be honest, I probably never would have photographed or processed these fun panos if I had to do them to the standards required for paid client work (photography and post would have taken 10 times longer... and I couldn't have done it while lying on my couch with a beer wink ).

I do appreciate the feedback! smile I'll get better at doing these even in "non-paid" mode but this is still a relatively new niche for us.
alert moderator
JdT

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 at 23:47 GMT
Here is another that I processed while I was still in Maui.
Iao Valley
www.ritchiephotography.com/iao.html

I have a question. Does the sound of the ocean really get more quiet in real life when you turn your back to it? I agree the directional sound is cool in panos but not sure it's more realistic.
alert moderator
JdT

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 at 0:09 GMT
updated: 5 Jan 2013 at 0:10 GMT
Did anybody see the "hidden" video when you look down into the jeep?
www.ritchiephotography.com/tours/honomanu.html

laugh My wife decided she wanted the back for some reason... lol
All the tourists in the Van behind us expressed how concerned they were at a stop... They couldn't believe how mad she must be for having to ride in an unsecured lawn chair, in the rain, in an old open jeep, on the Road to Hana (7hrs on narrow cliffside roads)... laugh Best part is... It was her idea... and we all had a blast!

Unfortunately, I only got one pano that day instead of the 20 or so that would have been possible in better weather.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 at 0:18 GMT

JdT said:

I have a question. Does the sound of the ocean really get more quiet in real life when you turn your back to it? I agree the directional sound is cool in panos but not sure it's more realistic.

When you look at a beach with waves crashing down, there is a different sound coming into your left ear than is coming into your right ear. When you turn your head away, the sound flips orientation.

In your panorama you have the exact same stereo sound coming out of the speakers no matter how your "head" is pointed.

If you make a single point the origin on the sound, as you pan around you will hear the left and right track swap places. This mirrors real life.

Lowering the volume as you turn away helps with the stereo wrap around effect.

I suppose you could leave the volume up. You still need to have the two channels swap places as you pan around.
alert moderator
mediavets

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 at 11:06 GMT
updated: 5 Jan 2013 at 11:06 GMT

JdT said:

D laugh Best part is... It was her idea... and we all had a blast!

Hilarious....here, of course, you'd have been pulled over by the police and fined, not least because she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Andrew
alert moderator
JdT

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 at 23:52 GMT
updated: 8 Jan 2013 at 0:01 GMT
I still haven't seen anything confirming the lawn chair was legal. My sister lives on the Island and the Jeep is very "local" so we weren't worried.

That thing has a scary wobble in the steering but it got me the "Kama'aina" discount more than once while I was there. smile
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 18
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last