back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 19
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Mahmood H

Old town at night
Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 22:38 GMT
Here is my most recent panorama from Old town Stockholm at night.

stockholm360.net/fp.php?id=old-town-jarntorget-st...

Regards,
/M
alert moderator
Steve Dormer

Re: Old town at night
Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 22:58 GMT
Hi

I have just joned the forum and came across you image whilst browsing.

I am yet to do any work such as this but this type of photo will be my inspiration; great image and thanks for sharing.

I love Gamla Stan and spent several days there last year. I have a few images on my flickr page if you wanted to have a look( not panorama)

www.flickr.com/photos/stevedormerphotography/sets...

Steve
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 9:18 GMT
Very nice panorama...
alert moderator
hindenhaag

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 9:55 GMT
Nice scene and in total a nice panorama.

But there are a lot of ghosts across the whole scene. May be you can remove them.

Regards,
Heinz
alert moderator
Mahmood H

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 18:21 GMT
updated: 26 Nov 2012 at 18:24 GMT
Thank you Steve, Burake and Hindenhaag.

Hindenhaag,

You are right about the ghosts, therefore I did a small effort to remove some of them and of course it made the panorama much better. Have a look now!

Regards,
/M
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 18:50 GMT
I think that looks better now. You may not have noticed the shadow of the tripod. It's not very obvious so probably not worth spending time correcting it.

John
alert moderator
Mahmood H

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 19:27 GMT
Thanks John.
Actually I had noticed it but first after I had published it and hoped nobody else would do it. It becomes much more obvious when the panorama is moving and very very hard to distinguish it when you look at the still image.
I have now tried to to fix a little the worst part of it but as you have mention it, everybody will do its best to see it and I think most of will see it too, I may fix it completely later on.
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 7:11 GMT
Very nice sharpness, light and mood. I agree that tripod shadows and such are better removed.

In the previous version, the blurred ghosts of moving people added mystery to the scene, sort of like spirits moving between dimensions. They added excitement. Removing them has made scene dull and unimaginative.

Judy
alert moderator
Mahmood H

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 7:21 GMT
Thanks Judy,

Obviously it is almost impossible to satisfy all taste types. Maybe I should have left a couple of the people on the borderline between ghosting and motion blur...?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 13:40 GMT
Obviously it is almost impossible to satisfy all taste types.

Mahmood,

Go wherever your vision takes you. If you like the ghosts, leave them in. If not, take them out. As you do more panoramas you will develop your own style.

Dennis
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 15:23 GMT

Judy-A said:

Very nice sharpness, light and mood. I agree that tripod shadows and such are better removed.

In the previous version, the blurred ghosts of moving people added mystery to the scene, sort of like spirits moving between dimensions. They added excitement. Removing them has made scene dull and unimaginative.

Judy

I am happy to hear you say/see this.
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 15:36 GMT

Mahmood H said:

Obviously it is almost impossible to satisfy all taste types. Maybe I should have left a couple of the people on the borderline between ghosting and motion blur...?

Your first version had a blurred group of pedestrians in front of Sundberg’s Konditori. I liked the pano better when they were there.

There’s no right or wrong way to present a panorama. If it’s a personal project, follow your own personal tastes. If it’s for a client, then obviously the client’s needs come first.

Judy
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 21:52 GMT
updated: 29 Nov 2012 at 21:55 GMT
Judy wrote: "In the previous version, the blurred ghosts of moving people added mystery to the scene, sort of like spirits moving between dimensions. They added excitement. Removing them has made scene dull and unimaginative."

A very interesting approach...I'll think about it when I shoot something similar...

Burak
alert moderator
Mahmood H

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 at 14:28 GMT
updated: 2 Dec 2012 at 14:51 GMT
This was indeed a very interesting discussion. Thank you all for your comments.

Generally I prefer to have some people in my panoramas, in this one I had a couple of "bad" ghosts in the first version which of course were a little disturbing. After a comment I removed all ghosts and most of the blurry people, which indeed made the panorama, say, with less "errors" BUT a little bit dull.

So, I had another go on it and fixed the ghosts but restored many of the blurry people. All in all 13 people have got to come back to the scene. I like this one much better than all the previous versions myself so this will be the final version.

Now, I have both on display if you would like to compare.

The latest one at the original address:
www.stockholm360.net/fp.php?id=old-town-jarntorge...

The one with almost no ghosts at:
www.stockholm360.net/alt/old-town-jarntorget-stoc...

Regards,
/M
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 at 19:20 GMT

Mahmood H said:

So, I had another go on it and fixed the ghosts but restored many of the blurry people. All in all 13 people have got to come back to the scene. I like this one much better than all the previous versions myself so this will be the final version.

Now, I have both on display if you would like to compare.

The latest one at the original address:
www.stockholm360.net/fp.php?id=old-town-jarntorge...

Hi Mahmood,

It shouldn’t surprise you that I like your new version much better. The street scene now looks lively and welcoming, even if some of those visitors are friendly ghosts. wink

Judy
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 19
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last