Search the forums:
messages 16-25 of 25
first prev prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Judy-A

Re: High Water in Banff National Park
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 18:14 GMT

burake said:

Very beautiful panos Judy...I like the light,the colours and the details very much...

Thanks, Burak.

I concur in my dislike of fake lens flares. Maybe they’re appropriate if you’re shooting extreme sports, and want to simulate movement of the camera tracking an athlete. For landscapes and cityscapes, they’re distracting blemishes.

Judy
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 18:46 GMT
Judy,

Hard to tell if the different color green is a lens flare. I think if it were, it would be in line with the sun and the reflection. I know that the lake bottom has different shades of green and such. No too sure on this one.

The grass is actually quite yellow right before it turns brown and dies. Not much water in the Easter Sierras. Yosemite looked dead and dried out this year.

One thing I do know is the flaring of the Tokina lens is much less than the Sigma. Even when the Tokina does flare, it is either a very small flare or so far out on the edge of the lens that an adjacent image covers up the flare. I am really loving this lens. I just wish they made an equivalent for the APS-C sensor.

Dennis
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 5:28 GMT

DennisS said:

I am really loving this lens. I just wish they made an equivalent for the APS-C sensor.
The Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye is an APS-C lens. It was only fairly recently they started selling this lens without the lens hood petals (which I assume you have purchased). Prior to this we had to modify the lens by shaving the lens hood off. We covered this back in late 2006 early 2007.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 11:17 GMT
The Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye is an APS-C lens
I wish Tokina had a lens that projected a cropped circular image on a APS-C sensor the same way it does on a full frame sensor. Although the Sigma does, it has flare that is not as easily touched up.

We covered this back in late 2006 early 2007.
As I joined in late 2007, that would be before my time.
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 12:11 GMT
updated: 24 Oct 2012 at 12:12 GMT
If it was Canon I'd suggest the 8-15mm Zooom Fisheye.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 17:36 GMT
updated: 24 Oct 2012 at 17:37 GMT

DennisS said:

Although the Sigma does, it has flare that is not as easily touched up.

You can't take a couple more shots then mask the flare out and let PTGui stitch the flare away? I get hideous flare with my cheapo fisheye converter so I just take two or three more toward the Sun and mask them out. Only takes a couple of seconds longer.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 19:24 GMT
DD,

Taking 4 shots around with a lens that has minimal flare is preferrable to taking 6 or more shots with a different lens. If PTGui does not get it right on the first try, you will end up messing about with additional control points and additional masking. Overall the additional workflow time needed is much longer that a couple of seconds. I have tried.

With the Sigma lens I needed to take a shot of the sun in order to get the sun to look good. With the Tokina I no longer need the extra picture. This may be a function of the D800 over the NEX. Since I cannot swap lenses around, I cannot test.

My real world tests show that the overall workflow is quicker with the D800 + Tokina (4 shots around) than the NEX 7 + Sigma (6 or more). How much quicker? It depends on how well PTGui does on the first try.

Dennis
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 0:13 GMT

DennisS said:

DD,
Taking 4 shots around [stuff deleted]
Dennis

Yeah, I guess if I did as many panos as you or Judy does, I want the most effective equipment also. But I only do a couple a month lately. Then spending a day or more on it to get it the way I like it isn't a real big deal.

I have the most trouble with getting the colors the way I like them. I find I'm more of an impressionist than a realist. I like to create a World that is a little more than real.
alert moderator
Panotracks

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 0:10 GMT
Really enjoyed this mountain scenery, especially the bridge.
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 2:05 GMT
Thanks, Panotracks.

I think you're about due for a trip to some mountains. smile

Judy
alert moderator
messages 16-25 of 25
first prev prev 1 2 next next last