back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 25
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Judy-A

High Water in Banff National Park
Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 15:50 GMT
While much of North America was wilting under record-breaking heat and drought in the summer of 2012, western Canada was being deluged with rain. Here’s a three-panorama tour of high water in Banff National Park.

These were shot with a Nikon D7000 and Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 DX lens.

www.judyarndt.ca/banff_high_water2012/banff_highw...

Judy Arndt
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: High Water in Banff National Park
Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:03 GMT
New camera and lens Judy? Thoughts?
Loverly scenery and locations.
Thanks for the bo-peep.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 6:57 GMT
Maybe you could email us some water -- we're just about out. The drought is hitting us hard here in Mammoth Lakes.

This is Horseshoe Lake. You can see the normal extent of the water level. This was taken 2 months ago. It's drier now.

pancyl.com/DryHorseshoeLake.html
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 15:14 GMT
Hi Smooth,

Thanks for your comments.

Unlike guys around this forum who have whole stables full of cameras (you know who you are) I decided one new camera at a time was enough of a learning challenge for me.

I seriously considered getting a Sony Nex for the compact size and light weight. In the end, I opted for a step up in image quality and low-light performance.

One thing I like better on the D5000 is the flip-out screen and info display that flips to vertical orientation when the camera is in portrait mode. With the D7000 on the pano bracket, I get a crick in my neck trying to read sideways and change settings.

Judy
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 15:27 GMT

DemonDuck said:

Maybe you could email us some water -- we're just about out. The drought is hitting us hard here in Mammoth Lakes.

Oh, that's bad. sad

Judy
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 16:35 GMT

Judy-A said:

I seriously considered getting a Sony Nex for the compact size and light weight. In the end, I opted for a step up in image quality and low-light performance.

Judy

Point of interest -- Nikon uses Sony sensors and the NEX 7 slightly edges out the D7000.

nikonrumors.com/2011/01/25/nikon-d7000-has-a-sony...

www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-...|0/%28brand%29/Sony/%28appareil2%29/715|0/%28brand2%29/Sony/%28appareil3%29/680|0/%28brand3%29/Nikon

Not that the D7000 is not a great camera. Also, the interface of the NEX cameras is a little odd.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 16:36 GMT
Judy,

I am surprised Smooth did not catch these.

Do the rocks look like this or are these rarely seen blending/stitching issues? I have never seen this before in any of your panoramas. I sometimes get this effect in an area that I stepped on while shooting.

Dennis
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 16:49 GMT

DennisS said:

Judy,
I sometimes get this effect in an area that I stepped on while shooting.

Dennis

That's one reason I always shoot the nadir first before I even set up. I call it the stomp circle -- that area that you step on during rotation.
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 17:25 GMT

DemonDuck said:

Point of interest -- Nikon uses Sony sensors and the NEX 7 slightly edges out the D7000.

It doesn’t surprise me that the Nikon uses Sony sensors. When buying into a brand, you also have to consider the internal processing and glass. I bought my D7000 before the NEX 7 was released.

I had been reading all the hoops you guys had to jump through to get fisheye lenses and wireless remotes attached to the NEX cameras. I didn’t want the hassle. I already have Nikon glass and Capture NX2. Many considerations.

I actually haven’t used the the D7000 a whole lot. When I took some pole panos, I used my D5000 in case of mishap. This fall when we flew down to a beach wedding on Vancouver Island, I knew I’d be in salt spray and sand and didn’t want to risk damaging my new baby. I took only the D5000.

I may still get a NEX to use for pole panos and longer hikes.

Judy
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 17:36 GMT

DennisS said:

Do the rocks look like this or are these rarely seen blending/stitching issues? I have never seen this before in any of your panoramas.

Sheesh, Dennis, do you have point out my nadir-patching flaws for the whole world to see!! blush

Obviously, I haven’t perfected my technique for this lens. I’ll take another look.

Judy
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 17:41 GMT
Battery for my D800. Made in Japan, further processed in China, contains the Sony name.

alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 17:52 GMT
Sheesh, Dennis, do you have point out my nadir-patching flaws for the whole world to see!!
Professional courtesy.

I am also getting used to a new rig. During the last three weeks I have been to Yellowstone, Bodie CA and Yosemite. I planned on using my NEX7 + Sigma 8 but quickly switched over to my D800 + Tokina 10-17. Not for total pixel count, but instead for much better lens flare control. The Tokina lens does not produce the same obnoxious flares the Sigma does. Since the Tokina is smaller, it is so much easier to keep clean and is less likely to get scratched. Unless space and weight is at an absolute premium, I will be leaving the NEX at home and taking the Nikon.

Silverlake area, Eastern Sierra Nevada mountains, Northern California. Water level is down a bit, but not as drastic as DD's pano.

www.dlsphoto.net/Panoguide/Silverlake
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 15:29 GMT
Very beautiful panos Judy...I like the light,the colours and the details very much...
Hi Dennis, another very beautiful pano from you...The reflection of the sun on the water is fantastic..Why create artificial lens flare effects etc for panos when one can find much better effects out in the nature...I am again surprised by the short downloading time allthough there are thousands of details to capture...But this pano is not made with pano2VR..Which program did you use?

Burak
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 16:36 GMT
Burak,

As you view more of the panoramas produced by members here, you will definitely see different styles. Judy's stuff is at the very top. I consider her work fine art. You would be very hard pressed to find better work from anyone else here. That is why I pointed out the stitching errors. The just do not appear in any of her previous work. My stuff is more along the lines of good vacation pictures. I choose not to carry a tripod and such, but opt for a more portable 4 shot around monopod. I crank out a lot of acceptable quality panos, Judy creates fewer very high quality panos.

Fake lens flares drive me NUTS!!! I would like to shoot whoever thought up that one. It is like watching a TV show where they do a bad job of simulating a hand held camera. Do it right or do not do it at all.

Pano2VR is my publishing software. I purchased the pro version which makes virtual tours easier. It also allows the removal of "about Pano2VR" when you right click the pano.

Dennis
alert moderator
Judy-A

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 17:08 GMT

DennisS said:

Professional courtesy.

Oh, of course! I fixed up my panorama as best I could. Hope this passes inspection. smile

Your Silverlake pano is lovely, even if the yellowed grasses are a bit unnaturally yellow. I know, I know. I'm frequently accused of oversaturation as well.

I think I see a green lens flare on the water just below the sun reflections. Mentioning it is a professional courtesy, you understand.

Judy
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 25
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last