Thread: Lot of spam on your website!!

Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 16
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
hindenhaag

Lot of spam on your website!!
Posted: 4 Dec 2013 at 19:56 GMT
I'd like to get to know why in the last time I find a lot of spam on the website and why I do not see any reaction of your team to get rid it?

I do not like to go through all of this spam till I get to a theme which is related to panography.

So long,
Heinz
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: Lot of spam on your website!!
Posted: 5 Dec 2013 at 4:46 GMT
I'd say Panoguide is in it's death throws Heinz.
It is a real pity as it once was the premier panorama forum of the world.

I have sent many, many reports of SPAM and never received an answer (where typically I always did within 12 hours) I have also tried to contact Charles via Tourwrist and the contact forum is dead, the help is dead. Also no blog entries for about 6 months.

It begs the question, why pay money to purchase it from James Rigg only to let it go down the toilet? I do remember some announcement that Tourwrist was changing it's name (or was that something I dreamt up?)

Anyway, it's ridiculous to let the forum die and Charles and his team should feel very embarrassed of their ineptitude and neglect. Not to mention poor communication with not only forum members but also their customers.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 9 Dec 2013 at 20:22 GMT
updated: 9 Dec 2013 at 20:23 GMT
I have been absent for quite some time, but returned to upload 2 images in the GALLERY forum...

I also noticed that there are LOTS of spam, mainly by "jendec06ide" and "totallz" !

What on earth do they think ? Do they really believe they will get customers here ???

So I check the FEEDBACK forum, just to read this thread and YOUR response sad !

What can we say ? What can we do ? I reckon that, when a site such as this one is going down, it's more the USER'S FAULT than the OWNER'S ! What a pity cry !

If ever (whenever?) the site re-start, I'd be very glad to help by participating financially (a few $$) !

Anyway, now that I regained a bit of hmpfff for photography, I'll check here from time to time !

Good luck, PANOGUIDE !

J-P.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 0:45 GMT

Jean-Pierre Scherrer said:

What can we say ? What can we do ? I reckon that, when a site such as this one is going down, it's more the USER'S FAULT than the OWNER'S ! What a pity cry !

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!

I cannot believe you think it is the user's fault nobody monitors the site for spam. "Alert Moderator" no longer produces results. I gave up alerting the moderators since spam is so prevelent here.

Just for fun I counted the number of messages displayed on the main screen that were spam. 20 out of 25 were spam. How is this the user's fault?

I cannot believe you think it is the user's fault this site is going down. That is like saying it is the customer's fault a mechanic cannot fix your car.

HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY SAY IT IS OWR OWN FAULT???

Blame for the decline here sits squarely on the shoulders of the site owner. If a change is needed, the user's cannot make the change. It is up to the owner of this forum to make the change.

I knew this would happen here when the forum was sold. That day it lost the personal touch and turned corporate. Sad. Just like when Microsoft purchases a company. What made that company so good is lost.

Dennis
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 5:08 GMT

I agree with Dennis that is a pretty stupid comment J-P. Lots of us have put many years into this forum contributing, learning, sharing and friendship. If this is all to be wasted. It is not the fault of the long term regular contributors and it is an insult for you to suggest so.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 11:52 GMT
Oooops ! My english again......

Sorry Dennis and Smooth if you took it badly, I guess it's my way to express my feelings that came out wrong !

All I meant to say was that, -apart from the owner apparently not really caring about avoiding "spam"-, the DECLINING ATTENDANCE of the forum is only due to it's users, isn't it ? Nothing really that the owner can do about !

I noticed that many very interesting photo forum have ups and downs, partly due to "new regulations", (read too much political correctness requiered), loss of interest of some "base users", and average IQ of new users....

IMO !

;-/
J-P.
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 17:11 GMT
Looks like it's going to have to change the name to spamguide.com
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 20:42 GMT

the DECLINING ATTENDANCE of the forum is only due to it's users, isn't it ? Nothing really that the owner can do about

Maybe the language barrier is kicking in again.

If a pub was serving bad food and drink, it is the customer's fault for not putting up with poor service? Hardly. The service here concerning SPAM is horrible. Why stick around? Not my fault for not wanting to put up with a bad product.

When a business is not attracting new customers and not keeping existing customers, it is up to the business owner to DO SOMETHING!

The owners of this forum can do a whole lot to generate new users and get rid of the spam. They continue to do nothing

A SYMPTOM of this forum's death is users no longer want to come here.

A CAUSE of this forum's death is the absolute huge amount of SPAM with no effective action taken by the owners.

See the difference between users not coming here and moderators doing nothing?

Do something about the CAUSE and the SYMPTOM will take care of itself.

It is up to the moderators, not the users, to make the change necessary to keep this forum interesting and not overloaded with SPAM.
alert moderator
ThisIsSpam

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 18:32 GMT
I cannot believe how easy it was to create an account here. All you need is an email address that is valid long enough to recieve a password. Once your password is sent, you can disable the email account.

Still think it is the user's fault? Just watch how long it takes for the moderators to disable this account.

Care to take a guess who this really is?
alert moderator

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 6:45 GMT
Hey guys. I know some of you are pretty mad — and that's reasonable. I'm very sorry about the spam. I diverted my attention for a couple of weeks (new father here), and low-and-behold, the Panoguide house burnt down in my absence. I don't want to make excuses, so I have to chalk this up to just a really bad oversight. So that this doesn't happen again, I'm shifting the "alert moderator" notifications to another member of our team — one who's will be more reliable than I was this past month.

Sincerely,
Charles
alert moderator
ThisIsSpam

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 6:55 GMT
Charles,

The volumn of SPAM has been on the increase for several months, not just the last couple of weeks.

Once respect and trust is lost, it is so very hard to get it back.

If you want Panoguide to grow you gotta change your game plan.

TIS
alert moderator

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 7:06 GMT
I understand that you're justifiably frustrated. For what it's worth, I discovered this evening that the moderator alerts had not been working properly. Being preoccupied with my personal life since sometime in November isn't a sufficient excuse though, so I'm now doing what I can to make it right moving forward; I'm introducing our community manager into the mix. Hopefully he'll do a better job than I.

Respectfully,
Charles
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:51 GMT

Moderator said:

Hey guys. I know some of you are pretty mad — and that's reasonable.
You could say that!

Moderator said:

I'm shifting the "alert moderator" notifications to another member of our team — one who's will be more reliable than I was this past month.
It's more like 4 months, but it is a good idea that more than one person is getting alerts and looking after the forum.

Charles, congratulations on becoming a father. But please don't neglect life's other responsibilities. If all gets to much; sell the forum back to the community.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator

Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 0:43 GMT
Hello All,

My name is Jamison Ross, Community Manager at Sphere (formerly Tourwrist). I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and let you know that I will now be moderating this forum. I went ahead and cleaned up some of the apparently obvious spam threads as well as banned the users who created them. I will address any alerts I receive as quickly as possible and encourage your feedback on how to better moderate this forum! Feel free to contact me at support@thesphere.com.

Cheers,
Jamison
alert moderator
Nick Fan
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:57 GMT
Hi Charles,

Why not have some volunteers to act as spam killer?
There are many frequent and trusted long time contributors here. Why not offer them this job?
The spam killer is only for deleting and blocking obvious spams/ spammers and will not involve in dispute resolution.

I can be a volunteer if you like. wink
Nick
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 16
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last