Thread: PanoTools Site Closing

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
John Spikowski

PanoTools Site Closing
Posted: 26 May 2008 at 1:33 GMT
Forum Members,

Due to the lack of participation on the forum / mailing list and the loss of sponsors, the PanoTools site will be closing at the end of May.

John Spikowski
PanoTools Admin. Support
www.panotools.info
alert moderator
halflife

Re: PanoTools Site Closing
Posted: 27 May 2008 at 6:39 GMT
Well, that's pretty bad news... sad
The best forum is here on panoguide (no offense Mr. J.S.) but maybe Mr. James R. could transfer some precious info on panoguide site? If it's about money I'm sure a similar action like Dorin's fisheye could be launched again... wink
Am I wrong?
alert moderator
John Spikowski

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 20:32 GMT
updated: 27 May 2008 at 20:33 GMT
There is no money to be made hosting a panorama portal. The Panoguide is the leader in panorama sites and James has done a wonderful job keeping the forum growing and everyone inline. (least amount of bickering of all forums/lists)

After five years of supporting PanoTools (time & $$$) there isn't enough participation and the sponsors I did have are not renewing. I also manage the ScriptBasic open source project and it has consumed all my free time.

I enjoyed working with all the friends I have made over the years and wish you all well.

John
alert moderator
Thomas Krueger

Posted: 28 May 2008 at 7:55 GMT
Isn't the official support site at www.panotools.org together with a useful wiki and the newsgroup groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG - never heard about panotools.info blush
alert moderator
Doug Aurand

Posted: 28 May 2008 at 15:26 GMT
John
I have to agree with your observation "least amount of bickering of all forums/lists".

I pretty much stopped participating in the IVRPA.org forums becasue I got tired of the cheap shots about being an iPIX user.

The only critisisms & questions I've gotton on Panoguide.com about being an iPIX user were well thought out, considered and courteous.

I really enjoy visiting and participating on Panoguide.com

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
alert moderator
Ranjan Pano

Posted: 28 May 2008 at 17:26 GMT
I never knew it has a forum and I guess many other also dont know. I always thought it to be a wiki.
I have been using this site to add the info refer it to other members who needed the info.
alert moderator
John Spikowski

Posted: 28 May 2008 at 21:30 GMT
updated: 28 May 2008 at 21:31 GMT
Thomas,

The PanoTools group was created by me in April of 2003 on the Yahoo Groups mailing list. I setup the original PanoTools Wiki in Nov. of 2004. In June of 2006 Yual and his friends started a list revolt. (some political correctness thing, corporate structure and an army of moderators at the helm) The PanoTools members list was used to send a email that the list had moved. The member that donated the .org URL took back his donation and used it as a bargaining tool for a seat as a moderator for the new group. The rest is history.

Where have you been all these years?

John
alert moderator
michael przewrocki

Posted: 28 May 2008 at 23:55 GMT
without distributing informations we will never see them...
alert moderator
John Spikowski

Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:11 GMT
You should be careful what you wish for. Now your stuck with NG and the 50 active posting members rehashing the same old topics. (with 10% or better being moderators) cry

It really doesn't matter anymore as there are friendly groups like the Panoguide and Max Lyons forum to move the panorama community forward.

John
alert moderator
Thomas Krueger

Posted: 29 May 2008 at 7:27 GMT
updated: 29 May 2008 at 7:28 GMT
John Spikowski, it seems that you are quite (in-)famous in the panorama community:
www.panotools.org/debunk

Never mind! laugh

Thomas
alert moderator
John Spikowski

Posted: 29 May 2008 at 8:24 GMT
The PanoTools site is now closed.
alert moderator
John Spikowski

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 1:54 GMT
Smartblend Users,

Please use the following URL for Smartblend information and downloads since Michael's home page was a sub-domain of the PanoTools site. I asked Michael to find other hosting arrangements but didn't get a reply.

wiki.panotools.org/Smartblend

John
alert moderator