back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 23
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
Harold

Jook Leung's 360° Panoramic Photography workshop in Maine
Posted: 1 May 2008 at 18:00 GMT
Last week I attended Jook Leung’s first-ever 360° Panoramic Photography workshop at the Maine Media Workshops (MMW) (www.theworkshops.com/) in Rockport, Maine.

I first learned about it while visiting the MMW table at PhotoPlus Expo in New York City last October. I had recently developed an interest in pano photography, after retiring from a 30-year career as a crime scene photographer with the Montreal Police. It sounded like an interesting workshop, and since it was being held at a spot that was only about a 7-hour drive from my home, I decided to sign up. I was not disappointed.

The one-week workshop began on Monday morning and ended on Friday evening (arrival is the Sunday before, and departure is on the following Saturday). Four students attended, including a photographer who had come from Brazil. We all brought our own pano equipment and laptops. Jook arrived in an SUV filled with equipment, which included an Agnos pano pole, Seitz VR drive, Kaidan Quickpan Pro, various Nodal Ninja and Bophoto brackets, camera supports (tripods, monopods), supplemental lighting and other gear.

Mornings were generally classroom sessions, with presentations and demonstrations by Jook of his own work, equipment, and pano-related software. During these sessions we tried PTGui, AutoPano, PhotoShop CS3, Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, HDR for Dummies, Pano2VR, Flash, QuickTime, and other software and formats. The classroom was fully equipped with individual Mac desktops, loaded with related software, an overhead projector, and high-end Epson printers.

Afternoons and evenings were generally for practice outings and field-trips. Along with our own equipment, we were freely able to use Jook’s gear and swap with each other. One evening, we photographed the downtown core and harbor in nearby Camden, while another day we visited Owl’s Head lighthouse. Jook demonstrated unusual pano techniques, such as painting with light and shooting car interiors using a pole-mounted camera through the side window. I handled lenses I had never used before, like a Nikkor 8 mm f2.8, and a Tokina 10-17 mm zoom.

The atmosphere of the workshop was very relaxed, non-competitive, and informal. No question was too basic. We often stepped out of the classroom to try something that someone would suggest on the spur-of-the-moment, such as hand-held panos, or horizontal pole panos. It was really fun, having the opportunity to try equipment I had only ever read about and interacting with others who share the same interests as me.

Everyone opted to live either on campus or at nearby inns. The on-campus residence where I stayed was comfortable, bright, and clean. The room was equipped with a double bed, full private bathroom, telephone, cable tv, wi-fi (available throughout the campus), and maid service. The meal plan included all meals, which were always healthy, plentiful, and well-prepared. Most of the buffet-style meals had a choice of at least three main courses. On our last day, we were treated to a lobster/steak dinner, complete with beer and wine. The large, communal-type tables allowed us to meet students, who were taking other photography or video courses.

The grounds are beautiful, with all buildings situated within walking distance of each other. There’s lots of free parking, adjacent to the residence and main buildings.

I had a very enjoyable and fulfilling week at the workshop. I learned a lot, and met some very fine people. The next pano workshop will be in August/2008.

Some of the panos done by Jook during the workshop can be viewed at:

360colors.com/MMW/

All the best,
Harold Rosenberg—Montreal W.
alert moderator
Harold

Re: Jook Leung's 360° Panoramic Photography workshop in Maine
Posted: 4 May 2008 at 2:38 GMT
Some of the photos taken during the Maine Media Workshops 360° Panoramic Workshop can be viewed at:

public.fotki.com/haroldro/360-panoramic-photo/

All the best,
Harold Rosenberg--Montreal W.
alert moderator
TriggerHappy

Posted: 4 May 2008 at 4:35 GMT
I'll bite how much $$?
Thanks for posting, looks like a lot of fun smile
alert moderator
Philip Warner

Posted: 4 May 2008 at 6:50 GMT
Here's a link to the workshop information. tinyurl.com/5kaeo7

It looks like fun and the lobster is great!

Phil
alert moderator
Smooth

Posted: 4 May 2008 at 8:39 GMT
Good to hear you had a good time and found it enjoyable. I know you had been looking forward to it. Lots to absorb in a week I bet!

Regards, Smooth cool
www.smooth360.info
alert moderator
Harold

Posted: 4 May 2008 at 14:05 GMT
You're right, Smooth. There was a lot of material covered, so I took notes on anything that was new to me. I felt like I was back at university.

I came to the workshop with 40 years of experience in film photography and a more recently-acquired knowledge (thanks, Smooth) of pano shooting and software. The really fun part was talking and doing panos every day with fellow photographers who shared the same interest. It's amazing how much you can learn when you are able to watch others and work together. The great weather and wonderful accomodations also helped to make it a very successful week.

alert moderator
Bill Bailey
[NodalNinja]

Posted: 4 May 2008 at 20:32 GMT
Hey Harold,
Thanks for sharing the photo's. I actually picked up a couple tips viewing them. smile

We set Jook up with some NN3 MKII's for demo'ing. I told Jook that if anyone attending his workshop has an older NN3 that I would be happy to offer a free rotator upgrade (I'll even pay shipping), just touch bases with me for it.
Cheers,
Bill
alert moderator
Harold

Posted: 5 May 2008 at 15:23 GMT
Thank you, Bill. I'll do that.

alert moderator
Harold

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 4:01 GMT
Here's a couple of more pics of the pano workshop.

360colors.com/MMW/MMW_Lumix/
alert moderator
fatchai

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 at 5:21 GMT
thanks Harold to share all these with us...i wish i can join a workshop like tis but i m too far away.. wink
alert moderator
spyboy

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 at 19:18 GMT
I wish I had known about it. My parents live in Rockport.

I just wonder how much new knowledge I'd gain in a class like that. I feel I have a pretty good background in panos (I know it can always be better, but I've taken classes in other subjects where I didn't learn anything new)

Kirk
alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 at 19:36 GMT
As Bill said, me too I've learned quite something just watching the photos in the links above.

Dorin
alert moderator
spyboy

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 at 22:52 GMT
I saw a few things in the photos as well. I would just want to make sure I get my $1000 out of it, and not learn $100 of new stuff and spend most of the time stitching panos (which I do now)

Kirk
alert moderator
tturner

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 at 1:23 GMT
I think there is another class with Jook in August if you are still interested. You could also email Jook about the class content I would bet. Check the schedule on their site.

TTurner
alert moderator
spyboy

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 at 16:34 GMT
I think I'm going to take it. I'm sure there's some gaps in my knowledge, and it's always great to see a pro in action, can learn alot just watching someone cruise through the workflow in the field.

Kirk
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 23
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last