Forum: Commercial Announce

Thread: Photoshop upgrades to be available on subscription only

back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
Author  Message 
John Houghton

Photoshop upgrades to be available on subscription only
Posted: 7 May 2013 at 6:12 GMT
Adobe Systems has announced that upgrades for its Creative Suite software, which includes Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash, would be available only through online subscriptions, effective immediately. See tinyurl.com/ckky7bo

John
alert moderator
Smooth

Re: Photoshop upgrades to be available on subscription only
Posted: 7 May 2013 at 7:57 GMT
Hmm...

Either I'm out of touch with today's world (highly likely) or Adobe is?
Either way, this decision doesn't sit well with me.

Regards, Smooth cool
www.omnipix.com.au
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 7 May 2013 at 11:32 GMT
Adobe is the company that sells Photoshop.

As with all software technology, times change. Software has a life span. Companies always move on. Adobe has done this. CS6 will continue to function just fine. I am not too sure about software updates since Adobe has moved all their resources to the new "Creative Cloud". Man I have really come to hate the term "Cloud". It will really suck when ACR stops working with new cameras.

I for one refuse to pay $50/month forever just to use Photoshop.

I have not paid attention to discussions about Photoshop alternatives. I guess now is the time to find an alternative. I will really miss Content Aware Fill if and when CS6 stops working.

This sucks.
alert moderator
John Houghton

Posted: 7 May 2013 at 17:24 GMT
updated: 7 May 2013 at 17:33 GMT

DennisS said:

I for one refuse to pay $50/month forever just to use Photoshop.

Actually, it is $19.99/month for one app (plus 40% more for us in the UK). There's a special 50% discount for the first year for owners of CS3 and above - i.e. $9.99/month.

As to the issue of ACR and the accommodation of new cameras, one can only hope that updates to the DNG Converter will continue to be freely available. Alternatively, I understand that Lightroom will continue to be available as a separate product, so purchasing regular updates to that should enable new camera RAW files to be processed.

John
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 7 May 2013 at 19:18 GMT
This model is not to my liking, but it is a relatively cheap way to use great tools.

Adobe is going to stop selling the stand alone versions of their CS software, and here in Peru, where I reside, they do NOT have any cloud service. This means that the Peruvian market will be without access to their software. Of course that will change sometime in the future, but right now it looks like a bad plan from my perspective.

$20 per month is not much... as things are today, one "has to" upgrade and the upgrade is quite costly every time. I think that for my usage, the cloud service would turn out to be cheaper than my current model (buying and upgrading). In any case, I will still have CS6... but for new users there will be a problem getting Photoshop... or there will be a pirate version for them to use.

alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 7 May 2013 at 20:49 GMT
Actually, it is $50 for the enire suite. I use more than just Photoshop. I can get an Academic discount, but that will still run $29/month.

You pay a monthly fee for LIFE. If you want to continue working on your files after you retire or leave your place of business, you have to pay. Otherwise all you can do is view your files with the viewer.

You have to check into the Internet to validate your license every 30 days. You can continue to use your software for up to 180 days.

I hope the concept of "renting software" dies. I know that back in the 70's companies tried this with very little success. "Cloud Computing" is the latest fad that I wish would go away. Unfortunately as long as companies make money at it, it will be around for quite a while.
alert moderator
iam360Texas

Posted: 7 May 2013 at 21:02 GMT
I read about that couple of days ago. What about the folks that bought Photoshop CS6 stand alone AND work off line ? Meaning no internet connection all year !

I would hate to have PS CS6 all of a sudden just stop working by timeing out. We only use Photoshop CS 6 not for business... having a constant drain on my budget (we are retired) will force us to go look else where.

Guess I will go visit the Adobe forum and read what's going on.
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 7 May 2013 at 23:11 GMT

DennisS said:

You pay a monthly fee for LIFE. If you want to continue working on your files after you retire or leave your place of business, you have to pay. Otherwise all you can do is view your files with the viewer.

You have to check into the Internet to validate your license every 30 days. You can continue to use your software for up to 180 days.

If that is the way they have made it, then it is a horrible solution. Not acceptable at all.

alert moderator
Hans Nyberg

Posted: 8 May 2013 at 10:58 GMT
Join the protests here. blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/05/answering...

The price for this will be double as much compared to what I paid for all updates of PS CS3-4-5 and 6 the last 6 years
alert moderator
burake

Posted: 8 May 2013 at 18:28 GMT
I am very annoyed by this...This is for me just making a software which is already very expensive more expensive...I wish there was a real alternative editing software to PS!

Burak
alert moderator
Hugh

Posted: 8 May 2013 at 20:50 GMT
Hello Burak,

Have you ever looked at Paint Shop Pro?
I have never been able to justify the cost of PS and have used PSP for well over a decade.
alert moderator
Flashificator

Posted: 9 May 2013 at 2:24 GMT
Alternative to Photoshop:

www.xara.com/us/products/designer/

I haven't got any personal experience with it, but I have been using the webdesigner program from Xara, and I love it's simplicity.

All Photoshop third party plugins are compatible with xara's designer, so that should be a good selling point. The program is not very expensive, and you should watch the videos to see some of what it can do.

alert moderator
burake

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 7:51 GMT
Thank you very much for the info...
Regards
Burak
alert moderator
OrmarT

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 9:32 GMT
Didn't look at it lately, but Serif's Photoplus was also quite capable. www.serif.com/photoplus/
At least it have 16 bit Tiff support.
alert moderator
nono2020

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 20:04 GMT
This model is not to my liking, but it is a relatively cheap way to use great tools.
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%AF%D9...]مركز طبى[/url]
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%AF%D9...]التنمية العقارية[/url]
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AA%D8%B3%D9...]الفنادق السياحية[/url]
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%AF%D9...]تنمية المجتمع[/url]
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%AF%D9...]مركز دورات[/url]
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%AF%D9...]مصانع الأعلاف[/url]
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%AA%D8%B4%D8%B7%D9%8A%D8...]ديكورات حديثة[/url]
[url=www.nile7.com/content/%D8%AE%D8%AF%D9%85%D8%A7%D8...]بناء[/url]

Adobe is going to stop selling the stand alone versions of their CS software, and here in Peru, where I reside, they do NOT have any cloud service. This means that the Peruvian market will be without access to their software. Of course that will change sometime in the future, but right now it looks like a bad plan from my perspective.

$20 per month is not much... as things are today, one "has to" upgrade and the upgrade is quite costly every time. I think that for my usage, the cloud service would turn out to be cheaper than my current model (buying and upgrading). In any case, I will still have CS6... but for new users there will be a problem getting Photoshop... or there will be a pirate version for them to use.
alert moderator