back to threads list | this thread is closed
Search the forums:
messages 1-15 of 18
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last
Author  Message 
thomash2

Nomad Panohead for Yasuhara Madoka 180 Fisheye Lens - NEX
Posted: 7 Jun 2012 at 14:39 GMT
The Nomad Panohead for Yasuhara Madoka 180 Fisheye Lens for NEX cameras (E-mount) will be available in the beginning of July. Pictured below are renderings of 2 versions. One version has multiple tilts of +10, 0, -10, and reversed -10 +18mm forward. The other version is a fixed tilt initially at 0 degrees. Other tilts available on request.

Check back next month for updates.
www.thomashuang.net/products/npym180/npym180.html
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Re: Nomad Panohead for Yasuhara Madoka 180 Fisheye Lens - NEX
Posted: 7 Jun 2012 at 16:35 GMT
So you have one of the Madoka lenses? Could you post some pictures. Maybe a link to a set of raw files so we could try stitching?
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 8 Jun 2012 at 0:43 GMT
Thomas,

You have really come a long way since your first pano head. Looks like you are getting better with your CAD software. This last set is very impressive. Keep up the good work.

Too bad you cannot "print" in aluminum.

Dennis
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 8 Jun 2012 at 1:48 GMT
Actually it is possible to print in aluminium. But it uses a different process with a tolerance of 1mm which is a bit too much. With the plastic, tolerance is 0.1mm.

I only have an engineering sample lens so releasing photos from it won't be a good representation of what the recently released version may look like. I'm hoping that someone with a final version of the lens can provide a sample for me using my panohead.

I can confirm though that the image is a complete circle inscribed inside the sensor area, and has somewhere between 182 and 187 fov from what I've been able to see so far. The resolution will be smaller than with the samyang 7.5mm lens.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 8 Jun 2012 at 16:00 GMT
Thomas, your groves and ridges method for securing the tilting lens ring is ingenious. Nicely thought out.
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 9:04 GMT
I've made some new renderings:

alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 16:23 GMT
I'm starting to think that the Madoka 180 will be a very average lens. Maybe not even that good. It's only 199 Euros or $250. And I asked them a couple of weeks ago to post some sample raw images and they just gave me a song and dance about the lens being evaluated by an "expert" photographer.
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 23:55 GMT
oh, I wonder if they meant me... they decided to send me a mass production version of the lens. ill have it and my prototype panoheads next week. ill post some samples when I do. I also recommended that Yasuhara send press releases and maybe send lenses to some of the review sites, but at the moment he said he's really busy filling all the reservations. I haven't seen any post about the madoka on English sites. need to push him on that.

by the sounds of it, he's selling a lot, but I'm not sure his first intention was for panorama, I think the primary purpose was to get a full circle fisheye for the nex.
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 0:17 GMT
Yes, please do post some sample image sets in NEX arw file format. I'd like to take a close look. Do a couple of simple panos from your pano head if you have one ready to go. That would be very interesting.
alert moderator
thomash2

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 16:07 GMT
I've finally got some samples up on my website. I've been busy trying to figure out the German bureaucracy to apply for a freelance visa.

The panohead is actually ready for sale, but I haven't been able to find the time to update the graphics on my website, so they're currently still unavailable.

thomashuang.net/products/npym180/npym180.html
thomashuang.net/germany/pano/2-memmingen-marktpla...
thomashuang.net/products/npym180/samples-2-memmin...
thomashuang.net/products/npym180/samples-2-memmin...

alert moderator
DorinDXN

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 18:52 GMT
OT
Hi Thomas, I noticed that you took 6 photos around and that makes interesting for my stitchless techinque.
Can I use the sample photos you kindly provided for a stitchles test, the result will be posted in other thread along with other camera-lens combo tests made from photos kindly provided by other users here.

thanks
Dorin
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 18:59 GMT
I worked through your ARW sample set. The lens is fairly sharp. Not much CA. But the compression toward the edge of the image due to the orthographic projection is kind of limiting. You need 6 around plus an up and down shot to get a clean nadir and zenith.

PTGui works ok on the stitch and blend even though the edge of the image is very compressed and practically useless.

PTGui suggests a maximum size of around 6000x3000. I don't see much advantage of the full circle Madoka over the Samyang E-mount when you really need to shoot the same pattern.

Here's the sample I worked through. I didn't bother to finish the nadir. Look at the zenith and see the splotch caused by the compression of the edges.

pancyl.com/Madoka.html

Maybe the next version will have a different projection that is more compatible with panoramic photography.
alert moderator
enbilaman

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 16:06 GMT

DemonDuck said:

I worked through your ARW sample set. The lens is fairly sharp. Not much CA. But the compression toward the edge of the image due to the orthographic projection is kind of limiting.

Agreed

DemonDuck said:

You need 6 around plus an up and down shot to get a clean nadir and zenith.

Agreed. Moreover this statement could probably be moderated. Despite the soft nadir, a fairly decent panorama can IMO be got from only 3 shots converted from Thomas' raw files: tinyurl.com/8ffsays

DemonDuck said:

PTGui works ok on the stitch and blend even though the edge of the image is very compressed and practically useless.

Agreed. BTW PTGui (or PTOptimizer) may do better than some other commercial applications: "3-shots" sample projects files for PTGui 9.1.3 , AutoPano Giga 3.0 and Stitcher 2009 Unlimited can be downloaded at michel.thoby.free.fr/Madoka180/Stitch_scripts.zip
The same in addition to the 3 converted image files: michel.thoby.free.fr/Madoka180/Madoka180_Thomas_H...

DemonDuck said:

PTGui suggests a maximum size of around 6000x3000. I don't see much advantage of the full circle Madoka over the Samyang E-mount when you really need to shoot the same pattern.

Would compactness (and possibly price) be the sole advantages?

DemonDuck said:

Here's the sample I worked through. I didn't bother to finish the nadir. Look at the zenith and see the splotch caused by the compression of the edges.
pancyl.com/Madoka.html

Nice pano. Although "automatic exposure and color adjustment" (PTGui) will correct the colored blob at the zenith quite satisfactorily.

Conclusion: I would not presently recommend a newbie to use this lens for easy panorama stitching. Some heavy manual assistance is presently often needed from the user in order to overcome the "orthographic hurdle". This is aggravated when stitching less images around, but I am convinced that the (optimizer) algorithms could be adapted to better tame the wild projection.

Michel
alert moderator
DemonDuck

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 2:19 GMT

enbilaman said:

DemonDuck said:

Would compactness (and possibly price) be the sole advantages?
Michel

The new Samyang f2.8 8mm fisheye looks about the same size and I've already seen one go for $250.00 USD on eBay. So I think they are about equal in size and cost.

But I must say, I have not put my hands on either lens. I'm just repeating what I've read about them.
alert moderator
DennisS

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 3:16 GMT
I have been playing around with this lens tonight. The projection is not much of a problem. Tilting up 5 or more degrees seems to take care of the Zenith. More testing is required.

What I do not like is the 7300x3650 final pano size from my 24mp NEX 7 camera. My Sigma 8mm gives a pano size 11200x5600. Even if I were to spend all day tomorrow fabricating a ring mount for this lens and dialing in a perfect stitch, the loss of final image size is just wasting way too many pixels.

I kind of knew that when I ordered the lens. Thought I would give it a try anyway. The Sunnex lens suffers from the same wasted pixels.

Looks like the lens is going back next week. Darn. It looked promising.
alert moderator
messages 1-15 of 18
first prev Prev 1 2 next next last